g5 won't start

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cpr24, Sep 14, 2016.

1. cpr24 macrumors newbie

Hello all, first time here, My g5 for some reason wont boot up. I do get the chime and the only fan that revs up is the one near the hard drive. The only red led light(besides the one in the front) is the one under the processor. I am concerned it might be shot. I first thought that maybe the video card. I currently don't have another g5 video card to test this thing. I just bought it from ebay last week and showed up today. I have already taken out the pram battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Model is a g5 1969c

2. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

The red light is probably the over temp sensor. You should be able to read what it is next to the light if you take the side panel off and peak in (no need to remove clear air deflector).

Is your model the 2.5 DP? Could mean the liquid cooling system has failed. If so, return to seller ASAP.

3. cpr24 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes its the 2.5ghz dp with liquid cooling. like I said, the only light that kicked on after chime is the one under the processor. is it possible to downgrade to 2.0ghz with the present motherboard?

4. cpr24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did get the g5 to work by switching to a air cooler but need standoffs and screws to secure it. does anyone know where I can get them at a decent price? the few places that have the standoffs want at least 30+ dollars for them. I have found the screws cheaper though. forgot to mention that I believe that the part number for the stand is 922-6060.

5. apple apple macrumors member

I know it sounds chintzy, but push come to shove you may be able to use the small sized zip ties. I did once on PC build years ago.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    Just hit me... I don't think your local hardware store has the sizes you would need, but I know they have nylon nuts and bolts. Could probably find the sizes you need to fashion something on eBay.