G5-- Worth Repairing?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by stgenis, Jun 11, 2013.

1. stgenis macrumors newbie

I've recently been given 3 G5's (1 Mac Pro dual 2.0 8GB RAM, 1 Dual Dual core G5 4GB RAM, and 1 iMac 2.0 2GB RAM). All three are operational, but require new hard drives, so about $80 worth of hardware to make them fully functional. I'm reluctant to put the money into them if there isn't the chance that I would be able to recoup the repair costs. These are very functional machines and I hate to think that the only thing I can do is send them off for recycling. Any advice on what to do?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Given? As in free? I would totally keep those machines, just buy one hard drive so you can test each to make sure they are fully functional. The G5 is a Quad, definitely keep that but be on the lookout for coolant leaks.

As for the Mac Pro, I would buy some Intel Xeon 5355's and make that thing an 8 core machine...all for under $100. I did that with mine and it was a great decision.

3. archtopshop macrumors regular

Just save a custom search for each model with "completed items" checked on your My eBay page. This will give you a better idea of resale value than any you might get here on this forum.

All you'll get here is someone's opinion. eBay will show you the actual prices being paid for these machines. Then you'll know if you have a chance of recouping your repair costs.

Personally, I think it's worth it to repair the computers. But then again, it's just my opinion because I didn't bother checking eBay. :D

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Keep. Hard drives aren't that expensive anyways.

5. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

You can send it to me :)
    I'd love to have a G5, and I have a shinny 500Gb for it :p
    I can't understand, do I live in the only country here powerpc macs aren't given, trashed or sold cheap?:p

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Nope, they're still expensive here too.

7. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

And in Ireland, even PM G4s fetch a good amount (700MHz+).

8. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

Really I don't get it, here in Portugal they are expensive, even in ebay when I bought my upgrades for a good amount, now that I am trelling to sell it, guess nobody is interested :p
    Maybe bad luck :p

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

What do you ant to get in replacement?

10. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

It has been ofered to me a cheap G5 single 1.8GHz .I am still dealing with the guy to be sure it's not scam.And I know it's not a great improvement, but I always love the G5s, and maybe I can sell it for more to get a dual 2.3GHz G5 =)

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I prefer the big aluminum tower more than the G4's too.

12. stgenis thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey.. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm somewhat perplexed by this. I've offered the systems for the cost of the hard drive.. (my time to prep the systems was thrown in for free)... no takers. I offered them with an iSight camera, 19" Sony LCD, external speakers, and wireless keyboard, and still no one is interested. I may just keep them at this point and find a use for them. I know that these systems have a great deal of use left in them, it's just amazing to me that no one else is interested. If anyone has another idea for a use, please let me know.

13. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

Where are you from?
    isight cameras give good money on ebay on bidding, like 60eur++

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Ship me the mac pro or the quad I'll pay for shipping and give you a little bit for your time. I have and EU address and a US address. I'll even mail you a box to mail it to back to me.

15. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

If I am not too faraway I will take both the G5 and the MP as well.

I will use it as spares.

16. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I am in the US, so I might be able to pay shipping cost of the Quad/Pro. No pressure though, try and find a use for it.

17. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

If you really want to get rid of the Mac Pro I will give you a good offer and pay for shipping/box and everything. But...looks like there are some people ahead of me!