Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbbrchckn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
Is it possible to put XServe G5 processors in a G5 tower?

I have a G5 2.7 that needs the water-cooling rebuilt. I was hoping to pull the processors from an XServe 2.3, mount them on 2.0 heat sinks, thermal calibrate with an ASD disk and I assume it will work. I know I will have to keep it in the same G5 "family", but is there ANY reason this won't work?

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
If I remember correctly, the logic board is locked to processors of the same clock speed as the ones that came from the factory. I could be wrong though, it's been a long time since I've worked on a G5

rbbrchckn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2013
not locked in- but "family"???

They aren't necessarily locked in to the processors, you do have to thermal calibrate with the ASD disc, but you can cross processors. I switched the 2.7 from a smushed case into a dual 2.0 with a bad power supply and after calibration it worked for a few years before the water-cooling crapped out. I "think" you have to keep the same family though: the first generation G5 had the 970 v2.2 processor, the next 3 generations had the 970fx; while the last generation had the 970mp processor (also PCI-e slots and 4200 RAM). All G5 XServe's had the 970fx processor so I assume as long as I switch out the heat sink and recalibrate it should work, maybe???

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
G5 processors aren't all compatiable. All but two logicboards are locked to work with only the same speed CPU. While you can put in a non-compatiable CPU, the bus speed will be greatly reduced as well as the overall clock speed. I don't remember exactly which models, but the two fully compatiable logicboards are a 2.0Ghz and a 2.3Ghz single core model. Those two logicboards could swap CPUs without a problem. But if you put in a different speed other than 2.0Ghz or 2.3Ghz, it'd go into reduced mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.