G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CheeseBread365, Oct 8, 2017.

1. CheeseBread365 macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

I got this weird idea that I could take a empty hard drive and put the files for mac OS X on it manually with it in my computer as a slave drive.

Is this possible?

if it is, where would i get the files and how would i do it?

i got a iMac g5 for free off Craigslist it was listed as broken even though it just needs a new hard drive as the one in it is dead

i want to get it working as its a very nice mac
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    also how do i format a hard drive for mac use
    also my best computer is a windows pc.

i didnt want windows but none of the mac operating systeams were supported on my computer build

2. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

There are two viable ways to get OS X on to a drive/partition. One is running the installer, while the other is using a cloning tool to clone the drive.

Dragging and dropping the files won't work. If you know what you're doing and manually go in and set the permissions on EVERY file, you might get it to work, but it's not practical in most applications.

There are also a bunch of hidden files outside the "System" and "Library" folders that need to come.

Back in the pre-OS X days you could get a bootable disk by dragging and dropping the system folder-assuming of course that all the needed extensions are present.

3. CheeseBread365 thread starter macrumors regular

CheeseBread365

so i downloaded a linus iso file, burned it onto a dvd r, and tryed to put it in my g5. how do i boot from my installer
    not linus, linux whoops
    ubuntu

4. z970mp macrumors 65816

z970mp

If you burned it correctly, holding down C just after hearing the chime will work.