Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Polish!! I can´t translate it either. Nut look at the date. The roadmap presented there is already known, and the text on that page refers to the last MWSF. And we all know what happened - no G5 likely ´till well... er... no...:rolleyes:

pacoarango

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2002
Translation

I have a polish friend, I ´ll try and get her to translate most of this and will post it if its interesting.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by hitman
Altivec II? Hmm....interesting.

Although it seems old, this is beginning to make sense somehow. The G5 does not have an Altivec, right? That may be the reason that the current G5 is not usable by Apple up o date. Here is the G5+ mentioned, featuring Altivec II - it could emulate the G4´s Altivec, no?

This could be the reason that the G4 is further pumped up to satisfy the pro users until MWSF to, say, 1.4 GHz... and here comes the G5+.

The G5+ is said here to be ready between Q.3 2002 and Q.1 2003 if Moto are fast enough to bring supply, we will see the G5 on MWSF ´03 at least after that.

And, to be VERY optimistic, it said 3rd quarter 2002 - that conincides with AUGUST and VERY power-hungry software... WOW :eek: :eek: :D ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It would be hard to emulate a SIMD unit as fast, since the Altivec unit operates on multiple data chunks in parallel using a single instruction.

You could emulate the instruction, but it may be 1/4 the speed. The best thing would be to send it to an alternate engine even if it isn't on the CPU.

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
Originally posted by Mr Jobs

iH8Quark (love you name) have some faith:D

I've got faith. Lots of it. Faith that we won't see the G5 until we're all nucking futz. :D

I just find it hard to believe that a polish site would have the lowdown on Motorollas business plans. Do they even sell Macs there? Ehh... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the props on my name. 'preciate it. ;)

yellowcab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
look at the rebate offers from apple on G4.
There must be something new soon and i expect it at Seybold.
But what will they bring us?
You've the scedule on the polish site

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Keep in mind, that page is dated either April 12 or December 4, *2001*

But still, holy ****, did you see the G5 SPEC scores they listed? I know they were probably only predictions, but, damn!
* Szacowana wydajność: 1342 SpecInt2000 i 1364 SpecFP2000 przy zegarze 1,6GHz

I translate that to mean 1342/1364 at 1.6GHz.

Contrast that to:

- The 2.2GHz Pentium 4, at 814/801
- The 1.3GHz POWER4, at 814/1169
- The 1GHz Athlon, at 679/960
- The 1GHz G4, at 306/178 (sans AltiVec - and no, that's not a typo, the results really are that low)

All of a sudden it looks like, come whenever this damn chip will appear in a Mac, Apple just might find itself competitive again. If they can get the G5+ out by January... look out, x86.

More realistically, assuming we see the next Power Mac before September, that will mean no G5s until March at the earliest, assuming the traditional 6-month gap between new machine releases. I'll be super-realistic in line with all the disappointments Apple has been exhibiting lately and say we won't see it for another year at least.

Alex

iH8Quark

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Big Shoulders
the 8560 processor core, which runs between 600 MHz and 1GHz

yep...that sounds about right. Nice thought, but it's not going to do sh*t for a 32bit operating system. So we're still stuck at 1GHz. And it also sounds like it's embedded. Most router and cellular communications sets are. Although I could be wrong.

Besides, if we see a G5, it's for naught intil OS X is compiled into 64 bit. That's not coming for 12 more months. anyone want to wager a gentleman's bet on that one?

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
and they have a low voltage g5 mobility chip but that seems to be a ways off

but if powerbook goes to g5, ibook will certainly go to g4 then or sooner and that is what i am waiting for

not too long ago, powerbook was a g3 chip and so was it's consumer counterpart, the ibook

so that's why i think ibook can possibly, fingers crossed, go to g4 before tibook goes to "mobility g5"

but maybe at .13 microns, the desktop chip will be cool enough to run in the powerbook without soaking the battery time

.13 does not run hot in the way we define hot for laptops so that should not be a major concern

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
Uh, is that Polish or German?

You can't even see the difference between a slavik language and an indo-german language?? Holy ****!

German has the same roots as English and Dutch and I always thought that is quite obvious when you see the language written...

:confused:

groovebuster

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by dukestreet
look at the date - its part of the motorola roadmap, which can be found on the motorola web site and is a little more upto date.

D

http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M983989030230

Well, the roadmap doesn't say anything about the G5 being for high performance microcomputing. It just talks about the 85xx series to be targeted to the embedded and consumer market.

Apple has that agreement with Moto that they don't talk about the processors, before Apple announced them for their machines. That's probably why they don't show up on the roadmap.

groovebuster

itinerarium

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Oxford
It just looks, well, Polish. This is a country where 90% of the female population dye their hair in lurid, bottle-obvious colours. Where the drabness of the landscape has inspired that brilliant musical form known as Disco-Polo ( http://free.polbox.pl/f/falmar/ ).

To turn back to the whinging/kvetching side of things, I think there is a certain amount of fatalistic acceptance that overwhelms you after a while. I bought my first mac a little over a year ago (a 500 iBook), and while I love it, there's something strange that's happened - I loathe it for what it doesn't do, for what it doesn't have. Maybe loathe is too strong: its shortcomings irk me. And I keep hoping for the hardware release that will shout to me : 'this one ain't gonna lag. Commit to penury, buy it.' Lag - that's the thing, I think. The expectation-horizon will always be well beyond the reality, but the space between the two seems to have widened in the past year, rather than narrowed.

Just rambling. My apologies for a semi-incoherent first post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.