g5power mac a1117

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by popuk, Aug 8, 2013.

1. popuk macrumors newbie

hi just got my g5 back and its hard drive has failed. all i get on screen is file broken symbol i have os cds but wont boot up any idea's?.............have a new hard drive
    thanks pop uk
    ps its a british model so i'm told

2. simsaladimbamba

If the HDD has failed, have you replaced it with a new or working HDD? If so, what is written on the OS disks? Please be as precise as you can.

3. popuk thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a mac ubuntu cd = that does not work
    a 3 cds which reads imac software restore on all 3 cds not working
    a imac 2cds reads mac osx install disk 1-2 version 10.2
    and finialy a mac osx install dvd =10.6.4 :eek:

----------

not surewhich format too

4. simsaladimbamba

Since you have a PowerPC Macintosh, it does not support the 10.6.4 Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD, since Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard only runs on x86 (Intel) Macs.

The other CDs are grey restore CDs, that only work on the model they came with. And since they only have Mac OS X 10.2 on them, they might not even have drivers for your Power Mac.

You either contact Apple for replacement Restore discs for your specific Mac, or hunt down (via eBay or Craigslist or a local Apple affiliate store, not an actual Apple Store) a Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger or Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard RETAIL DVD (they are not grey).

Go to EveryMac.com to check for your exact model (specs are listed there to compare them with the spaces listed inside the case on the bottom if the hatch is removed) to learn what OS version it supports.

And if your try Linux, you need a PowerPC compatible version of it.

To learn more about the Apple use of PowerPC Mac or the switch to Intel, read the article I linked to in this sentence.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Find a Leopard or a Tiger DVD and install it. Or if you can find *other sources* that may be a way to get it working sooner.

6. popuk thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks very much people. get back to you when i get dvd