Gadget insurance worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MikePembo951, Aug 18, 2013.

1. MikePembo951 macrumors member

Hi all,
    So i've seen a few 'macbook theft' post today.

It got me wondering about getting insurance specifically for it (2013 MBair).
    Something like http://uk.protectyourbubble.com or somewhere similar.

Do these insurance companies actually pay out in the event of theft/accidental damage?

Any recommendations for UK gadget insurance?

Also what are the limits of iCloud protection? I think i've turned on find my mac but how much use is it if the macbook is actually stolen? Surely thieves will just wipe the hdd.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

According to Consumer Report USA, these insurance/extended warranty are not worth it. BUT half of the people here would tell you absolutely, saved their lives.

To me it comes down to your risk taking comfort level.

Each one does it differently, you have to read the fine prints. Other questions to ask is, how many time can you break it/lost it a year? Do they give you brand new/refurb/or a "comparable" phone (but not exact). And is there any deductible?

Everybody assumes the thief is an expert and he has unlimited time to disable things. Fact: 95% of thiefs are dumb and just want some quick cash for their marijuana.

So when ur gadget gets stolen, you have a day or 2 to find it, then it comes down to whether the constable is willing to tackle your problem (enforcement). He's not obligated to do so because there are usually more pressing concerns.

3. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Household contents insurance can cover all your gadgets home and away, and the entire contents of your house, for about the same cost as a dedicated gadget policy. Do look into the small print though; especially excess and numbers of claims allowed.

4. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Check your deductibles too. It's one thing to have a higher deductable ($1,000) when submitting a large claim (like a roof job due to hail); however that higher deductable will kill you on typical consumer electronics.

5. AppleMacNerd macrumors regular

It's pointless for me our house insurance covers up to £5,000 on personal items away from home worldwide.

As a family my mum, dad and I have iphones so thats £1,200 (est).
    I have my 2011 MBA so £600 resale but I would get £1000 as I paid.
    Then my dad usually carries his GoPro which was £380.
    My dads Macbook Pro £1000.
    and a DSLR £500

All that is £4080 and that is the maximum we carry around when we go aboard or away it's usually 50/50 whether my dad takes his Macbook Pro as well so we are well under the £5,000 on our insurance.
    So to myself it wouldn't be worth it.

Check your house insurance if you have it and check if you are covered. Some dont cover you, some do but only in your country or if your a certain amount of miles away from your house or some just in the EU.

6. M0V3M3N7 macrumors newbie

So you'll most likely find your home insurance already covers it. For both accidental damage and theft. If you're claiming, you will need a reciept, and product ID number.

If you're claiming for accidental damage some places will require proof - i.e. seeing the damaged laptop. If you're claiming for theft, all insurers will require a documented police form - i.e. you'll have to report it as a stolen item.

Assuming you have all the above, you should always be able to claim successfully. As usual beware the small print. Sometimes "personal items" in home contents insurance doesn't cover you if abroad, or out of your home, etc. Most will state this quite clearly.

Finally - beware the excess cost on your insurance. Really depends on insurance, but as you most probably know, this can be quite high - a few or many hundred pounds, and can be a major put-off in claiming on insurance.

7. AppleMacNerd macrumors regular

A few or many hundred pounds?! Wow! That might be because you live in London I suppose. Ours is £100 excess however I live in a very nice area in the north west of the UK.

8. SusanK macrumors 68000

ID theft insurance

I didn't buy the gadget insurance but I did get identity theft coverage on my homeowners ins. Hope I never find out how good it is or is not.