Gadget Reviews

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shaun.P, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Hi there,

For Christmas I received an iPod Touch and a TomTom ONE 3rd Edition, then today I bought myself an Airport Express and Leopard and an External Harddrive. I would like to make a brief review of all of these products.

The iPod touch is amazing. I now have it working with my wireless network and everything is working seemlessly. I just need to get some sort of case to provide protection.

The TomTom ONE is very good. I have not used SatNav before. It is easy to use, and gives clear, concise instructions, and is also kinda fun.

The Airport Express I bought just to use AirTunes with. My previous wireless setup was modem - router (I have cable) now it is modem - Airport Express. So basically I'm using Airport Express as my router - which is working excellently. The router I had before was very cheap and nasty. It was exceptionally easy to set up - seriously - I followed the setup procedure, restarted my computer and it worked perfectly. Music is now streaming to my Soundsticks and I'm on the internet. Could someone clarify what the difference is between this and Airport Extreme? Does Extreme merely have more ethernet ports and a bigger range? Is it okay to use the Express the way I have set it up?

The Hard-Drive I bought was the Seagate FreeAgent 250GB. It's not the most aesthetically pleasing thing on the planet, but it does come with a 5 year warranty and apparently if anything goes wrong with it should just get swapped with a new one. Again, very easy to setup, but I think it looks ugly. It is very quiet however and was relatively cheap. It should provide more than enough capacity for me considering I have not even filled the 60GB HD on my iBook.

Leopard. Hmm. I think this is going to take some getting used to. I have installed it and I feel it is not as snappy as Tiger. I don't have the fastest machine in the world (iBook G4 1.42Ghz, 1GB of RAM) but I was expecting it to be the same, or faster than Tiger. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel as if the dock is just too much. It looks cluttered and unprofessional. The finder, albeit more dynamic and useful, again, seems cluttered. Stacks seems useful, and I'm backing up my HD to the FreeAgent just now. One thing I noticed is that repairing permissions takes much, much longer. Maybe it will take me a while to get used to, but it seems bloated.

Shaun

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

iPod touch, Tom Tom nav, Leopard, Airport Express and a hard drive. Man, it must suck to be you. :D

3. mpw Guest

Trouble is the Tom Tom still takes him back to Glasgow each night:(

4. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Oi!

I don't actually live in Glasgow - I live in a place called Irvine - 25 miles outside Glasgow and on the west coast. I choose Glasgow as my location for MacRumors as it is the nearest, well known city!
    And the west end of Glasgow is very very nice!

5. mpw Guest

Oh that's okay then. I was a little worried about the idea that a Glaswegian had a sat nav, as it implies driving: obviously not a great idea for an alcoholic.

^Obviously a joke.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns