Gah.. FREAKING OUT! (College Stuff)

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by GreyFox1221, Dec 11, 2008.

1. GreyFox1221 macrumors regular

GRRRRRjaksdjfskldfjs. Sorry, I had to get that out of the way. It is finally getting to be crunch time on college stuff (SATs over (2000!), Essay writing to do, visits to make, coaches to email, transcripts to send.....the list goes on) Most critically though is my portfolio. (By the way, if I heard that word again until I'm a confident designer, I might shoot something.) I would consider myself someone with low artistic ability when it comes to off the computer stuff. Recently, however, I've started to make some analog art that I think is portfolio worthy. The thing that bugs me out is when I see I need something along the lines of 18 pieces of art, mostly analog. /end rant

The reason why I am posting is to ask if I could get some critique on my artwork. I welcome all remarks and really need some honest help on making my portfolio the best it can be.

Here is a list of my potential schools:
    Northeastern University (#1 choice)
    Art Institute of Boston
    Suffolk University
    Colby-Sawyer College
    Champlain College
    Maryland Institute of Art*
    Rhode Island School of Design*
    *Reach Schools

Feel free to comment on any of those schools if you have any first hand info.
    Thank you!

Images Portfolio: http://flickr.com/photos/jonathanlampron/sets/72157611141694638

Videos: http://vimeo.com/2500600 http://vimeo.com/2500584

I'm frazzled and feel like I'm in over my head....

2. shecky Guest

shecky

comments like this worry me - because that statement means you consider yourself someone with low artistic ability, period. the computer is an irrelevant factor, any idiot can learn how to use photoshop, et all, and it does not give them any artistic ability. artistic ability is in your head not on a monitor.

having said that, i disagree - you do have an eye and i think with practice you could handle natural media just fine. of the images in your portfolio i would loose the street art one as it looks like just a bunch of PS filters. i am also not loving the 3d drawing. the rest should stay in.

for the record i went to RISD and i now teach or have taught graphic design as no less than 3 schools on your list. i can tell you this: admissions people want to see the POTENTIAL for greatness, not greatness. I think you work shows potential. for RISD you will also have to complete 3 pencil drawings for the application but you do those at home on your own time. just go slow and easy and remember that drawing is 95% seeing.

in fact, i will quote myself from your similar thread of a year ago:

3. GreyFox1221 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, for posting on both of mine. I'm glad you don't consider me of low artistic ability, I think I might be getting low on myself because of all the stress. I'm glad that someone out there is helping, because I feel like I get no help at my school (other than "Oh, that looks really neat.") I've definitely gotten much better at using a pencil in the past year, and in hopefully the piece I'm working on now I will find out that I've gotten better with a brush too.

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

You can get a 2000 on the SAT now? It used to top out at 1600...

Oh, and drop the PSDTuts rip-off piece. Everything else is worst keeping.

5. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I think you have a good eye for design, what works compositionally, etc.

That said, I wouldn't open with the street paint piece. It looks great, but it also looks like you found a bunch of PS brushes, stock textures and a tutorial. There's no concept behind it, just a cool look. Try making a stencil of an original design and spray painting it onto something that means something special to you or represents you in some way.

Graphic Design is not about knowing the latest styles and techniques. It's about identifying a problem and solving it through art. If you want an impressive portfolio, find problems that you can solve with impressive art.

6. cdover macrumors member

Yeah, they added a writing section. Now it's out of 2400.