GAH, I'm giving up, Macbooks and Macbook pros officially torque me off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ilovemygeek, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

So I'm still waiting on my refund for my 3rd macbook pro because i had 2 with the yellow tint issue, and various pixel issues (not to mention horrible shocks from the hardrive) and decided to get a macbook instead. I've had it 2 weeks as of tomorrow and guess what.... it just had a dead pixel show up....I know apple won't exchange it for a pixel and there is no way i'm going to be able to use this anymore (i'm anal retentive and the pixel thing is a massive issue) so basically I now have a 1600 dollar paper weight. I think I"m done with laptops..In a month I've had 4 and they all were pretty crappy. Sigh. Too bad, but that red dot will just totally bug me so much I won't be able to use this darn thing anymore...

2. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Go and speak to them. You don't know they won't exchange. If you explain your bad experiences then you may get a good outcome.

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

well if you want to trade i have the white one with no dead pixs or issues.....PS will have 4G of ram monday, dead pix do not bug me, think of it as a beauty mark :)

4. Ilovemygeek thread starter macrumors regular

i'm at my inlaws until friday and my 2 week period ends tomorrow. I could get them to exchange it but being as I've gone through 4 of these, my husband says i'm pretty much cursed. his is almost 2 years old and not a single pixel is out. Mine has this annoying red dot right on the top of my computer...I may see if they can recommend a repair center or something but honestly I'm so mad at Apple and the level of horrible service I've had (STILL waiting for 2600 refund on defective MBP, customer service lying to me to get me to pay for 2 b/c they made a mistake on the harddrive, etc etc). I just don't think they'll do anything for me at this point. I'll cut my losses and either shelf it or try to sell it. :c(

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Dead Pixel....

One dead pixel makes your laptop useless? Give me a break. Depending on where the dead pixel is, wouldn't an open window cover it up? How can one dead pixel make your laptop a paper weight?

Never understood the "logic" in this......

I think Apples stated policy is 5 dead pixels before replacement. Although some store managers will accommodate a replacement if you do not yell and scream at him/her.....

my 2 cents worth....

6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

write a letter to sjobs@apple.com and tell them your story it worked for me and include your phone number....they will get you a perfect one.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you really think it i a paper weight I'll do you the service of getting rid of it for free. But you may want to keep it since you say the pixel is red that means it is stuck and not dead, a stuck pixel can often be fixed, without a screen replacement

8. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

I brought mine back because the bottom was darker than the top. So I can see a dead pixel being annoying too. I am waiting on my money and ate a $200 restocking fee :(

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

First off, if it's red it's not dead.

Now, sometimes when a spec of dust gets on my screen if I'm looking at it at the right angle, it looks like a dead/stuck pixel. Try brushing it off first.

If not, try one of those utilities that flashes colors behind the stuck pixel, and it will probably get unstuck.

10. JAT macrumors 603

You people need to calm down. This would be like me saying, "Some of the bricks on my house were discolored so now I live under a bridge downtown."

Just get the damn thing replaced. Don't kick yourself in the head over it.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I probably would have taken my MBP back for the dead pixel I have right at the very bottom of the screen, and the uneven case, but as soon as I took it out of the box, I installed Final Cut Pro and got to work on a project I had to finish in about a week or so. Right after that, it was a design project, then I had to work on my cheap .Mac website, then I had to organize my Aperture library and sync some images to my site.

By that time, I realized that the issues didn't get in the way of my workflow so they must not have been that big of a problem.

12. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

So basically the OP is admitting he is an anal impossible-to-satisfy user who apparently thinks any laptop is crappy?

I don't understand the purpose of this thread? Shouldn't it be placed in the 'Anal impossible-to-satisfy user forum' since it's not about hardware but the OP's problems?

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The he is a she. The OP is a female.

Anyhow, one pixel stuck on red is not dead. Nor does one dead pixel make a laptop inoperable.

Unfortunately, these things happen. When ADC displays first came out, they were perfect and, of course, we paid for it. FWIW, a current ADC20 and my ADC22 have about the same number of pixels. The ADC20 costs $600. A few years ago, my ADC22 cost me $4,000. I could purchase 6 ADC20s and still have change left over!

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you're anal impossible what does that mean exactly? Yes, I'm here to dirty the thread! You can thank bank holidays for me being up this late and deciding it'd be funny to be dirty. ;) :p

And I tend to agree with Jiddick.

15. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

That means I am the only one on this forum who doesn't go to every Thread Owner's profile to make sure I am genderly correct when addressing h...sh... it? :(

The alias 'Ilovemygeek' is not excactly poking me in the eye with femininity... :)

16. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I am still wondering if my girlfriend is anal impossible-to-satisfy but that's only because I haven't been able to go down that road yet... :eek:

Oh yes, I said 'road'!!

17. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

"If the river is running red, take the dirt track instead"

18. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Are you trying to insinuate something???

I might try the 'whoops' approach sometime though...

19. jlui88 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the awesome links plinden! Hopefully, I manage to get rid of a stuck pixel in the middle of my macbook...

20. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

My 22" ACD cost $2500 and I had so many problems with it that I had it replaced 3 times, and this one was sent in twice (#4) for issues regarding the backlight and screen alignment. I finally gave up in the end (and was running out of warranty!) and still ended up with this:

http://www.talesmud.com/0052.jpg

The annoying part is I had finally gotten fed up and a dude at customer relations was going to "get to the bottom of it", when I had figured out that the sparkling pixels issue was my video card, but I didn't realize that this problem (it's like a gap between the LCD and the deflector or something, I have no clue, maybe an air bubble in the LCD itself?) was as bad as it was until a while later.

While it's one of my favorite monitors and I love the image quality (some people say that such an old screen would be crap, but I think it's very nice), the build quality on apple monitors sucks BAD.

But while I've had a horrible time with that cinema display, the 23"er we have is pretty decent, and all the other computers we have are just fine. Meh.

21. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

The part where the OP said "my husband says i'm pretty much cursed", however, basically does. More proof that a lot of people don't actually read the posts here....

--Eric

22. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Hey. It's a five line long post!

23. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

"Baby, you're tight!"

"Wrong hole fool!"

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think when she made this comment, it sort of gave it away:

"I could get them to exchange it but being as I've gone through 4 of these, my husband says i'm pretty much cursed."

So if you were really reading the posts, you would have picked up on this.