Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
What's taking Samsung so long to release Android L in the US? Is it because Lollipop has bugs on Nexus devices while carriers want to bloat roms?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung always take a long time to roll out software updates. Only a few countries in Europe have it so far, and even then it depends on whether its carrier branded or factory unbranded. Even then a factory unbranded device from Greece would have a different CSC than a device from France so those devices would not get lollipop at same time. Likewise even if your device technically HAS the update available in your area/carrier model that does not mean you all get it at same time. They still segment it and roll out the update based on IMEI. So yeah, factor in slow carriers in the process and you have a system where you could be waiting months for an update that you keep reading about on the Internet that is for your device. It's the epitome of frustration.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The good thing about how they roll it out is that if they find bugs in the release that they sent out in a few countries, they stop all other roll outs immediately, it happens a lot, most memorable was Android 4.1.1 for the S3, it rolled out in Poland and India for the Exynos, it was quite buggy so much so that most S3s went from 4.0.4 to 4.1.2 and Samsung threw in some Note 2 features.

I've seen the same with smaller updates in the S4 where most regions skip certain releases.

One could ask the same about HTC, Sony and others WRT 5.0. It seems the initial 5.0 is buggy though, we may see most OEMs jumping to either 5.0.1 as Samsung are doing with the Note 4 and Note Edge or 5.0.2, they seem to be waiting for Google to sort out the bugs as 5.0 is a major update, one of the biggest if not thee biggest, so I personally knew this would be much like when Android 4.0 ICS arrived.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
What's taking Samsung so long to release Android L in the US? Is it because Lollipop has bugs on Nexus devices while carriers want to bloat roms?

Samsung isn't the only slow oem to get Lollipop out. My 2013 Moto X is still waiting for it too. Supposedly the 2nd week of Feb it is to get released.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think the only solution for all manufacturers going forward and it's slowly happening as it is, is to push all their own software that makes a HTC device or Samsung device onto the play store so that devices can be updated to latest Apps and possibly launcher eventually without necessitating the android version beneath being updated at same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.