Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Ok so that might not be the name.. but the next Galaxy Nexus phone. I wasn't an Android user in Dec. 2011 so I didn't even pay attention to the GNex when it released. How much was it unsubsidized? (I use Verizon)

I currently have a Verizon Galaxy S3, and my goal is to sell it and get a Galaxy Nexus 2. I'd hope the resell value on the GS3 will be enough to pay for most of the Galaxy Nexus 2. Does this sound realistic?

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Probably. But when is the new Nexus coming out? Are there even rumors about it yet? Wasn't there going to be a refresh of the current Nexus?

I was thinking about waiting for the new Nexus instead of going with an S3 but I just have no clue when the Nexus will be coming out and after what, when and if it will come to my country. Which is why I am going with the S3, it is available in my country and it is bar none the best smartphone out right now. I can keep it for a year and then upgrade to the Nexus.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
The scuttlebutt is that there will be multiple Nexus devices before the end of the year.

My guess is that Google will deign multiple phones as 'Nexus' phones as long as they adhere to Google's requirements.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Probably. But when is the new Nexus coming out? Are there even rumors about it yet? Wasn't there going to be a refresh of the current Nexus?

I was thinking about waiting for the new Nexus instead of going with an S3 but I just have no clue when the Nexus will be coming out and after what, when and if it will come to my country. Which is why I am going with the S3, it is available in my country and it is bar none the best smartphone out right now. I can keep it for a year and then upgrade to the Nexus.

Yeah the S3 is an amazing phone, TouchWiz on it is surprisingly good.
I just love vanilla Android but I don't want to bother with custom ROMS.

As far as it coming out, if I have to wait until November-December.. then I am completely ok with that as I love this Galaxy S3. But the main reason I bought it over the current Galaxy Nexus is it's hardware is so much better.

So if I can get a Galaxy Nexus with a Camera and internal specs on par with the Galaxy S3, I'll probably get it. It is just a personal opinion though.

Does anyone know what the original Galaxy Nexus's (Nexii??) price was when it was released? (unsubsidized)

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
November. The rumors should be trickling in soon, I hope.

For me that means it won't be available in the carriers till 2013, maybe by February. That is if they in fact decide to sell it (if it is not made by Samsung chances are slim). I feel safe getting the S3 now and then changing it after a year.

----------

Yeah the S3 is an amazing phone, TouchWiz on it is surprisingly good.
I just love vanilla Android but I don't want to bother with custom ROMS.

Yes I was looking to get the vanilla Android with the Nexus but I'll do that with the Nexus 7 when I get it and about a year from now with the new Nexus. For now, TouchWiz is great and the S3 is truly amazing, as my first Android device I can't think of a better option considering how popular it is, how much it is selling and the overwhelmingly positive reception it has had. Don't think I can go wrong with the S3.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
For me that means it won't be available in the carriers till 2013, maybe by February. That is if they in fact decide to sell it (if it is not made by Samsung chances are slim). I feel safe getting the S3 now and then changing it after a year.

I suppose anything's possible, but i don't see why they'd deviate from their usual course. All three previous Nexus phones have released in the November/December range.

I just hope Google does this release right. Unlocked, from Google Play, with multiple storage sizes. If they can pull off the same thing as the Nexus 7 launch, that would be nice.

intervenient

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I'm hoping Google takes a cue from Apple and Nokia, in making their flagship phone a premium feeling product. I love my Nexus, but it's such a slab of boring a plastic.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
I'm hoping Google takes a cue from Apple and Nokia, in making their flagship phone a premium feeling product. I love my Nexus, but it's such a slab of boring a plastic.

It would be nice if they made the rear feel more like the material they have on the Nexus 7. That would be a great feature.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
It would be nice if they made the rear feel more like the material they have on the Nexus 7. That would be a great feature.

I agree, the Nexus 7's back, while rubber, feels like leather. Sounds strange, but it is true. I use Verizon though so I want an LTE device, the current Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play store is an HSPA device.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Yeah, this is really the only near-deal breaker of the GNex for me. So plasticky. If they really wanna take up the fight with Apple, they need to improve in this area.

Meanwhile I really hope they stay with the same design for the front for the next one. Seen from the front, the GNex is pretty much the prettiest phone I've ever seen. The shape is just so harmonious.

That, and offer a phablet size Nexus along with it.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I actually like the GNex. I didn't like my iPhone having a glass back. Felt like I was gonna scratch it easy. I want the Nexus 7's pleather. :p

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I realize I should have posted the following in this thread. Sorry for the C&P:

In my opinion, Jelly Bean still needs work, but it's definitely a "stabilizer" for Google. In other words, the OS is finally pretty well rounded and good all around.

I think, now, it's time to focus on delivering two things for Google's next Nexus:

Hardware and Launch.

It's time they start using premium materials and really elevate the build quality, since it seems this is a point of contention for many people. Plus, it would undoubtedly draw more attention.

And secondly, they have to handle the launch much better. I'm talking fully unlocked, carrier free, on the Google Play store, and offer multiple storage sizes (16g & 32g at the least). And if they can price it competitively -- something in the ~$500 range -- that would only help attract more customers. To date, Google has mishandled every Nexus launch. But the way they handled the Nexus 7 launch does give me hope.

Those are my hopes, but I ain't getting my hopes up too high...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I had a Galaxy Nexus earlier this year and I really miss it. I'm using a GS3 right now but I'm seriously considering getting the next Nexus. I too prefer the Vanilla android experience and I'm running a Google based ROM on my GS3. I don't know if I'll be selling my GS3 or just keeping it. Depends on the price of the unlocked Nexus.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Not really a deal breaker for me since we still don't have LTE here but I'm not gonna say no to more features and who knows we might get it soon.

I'm in the US and I just switched from AT&T to Verizon for their large LTE network, so a big negative to me. :p

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I'm in the US and I just switched from AT&T to Verizon for their large LTE network, so a big negative to me. :p

Is there a reason why they wouldn't include it? I've seen people say that because it's a developer phone that they don't include the best hardware in it but a lot if not most android phones coming out now have LTE so it's not exactly bleeding edge technology.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011

nnnnnooooooo

1. don't want a a9 chip...wheres the a15! :(

2. I would of prefered if Sony made the phone this time round.

3. They need a more adequate camera on that. ASAP.

4. Ultimately would of been best if google started putting together their own device, ie. HTC screen (or something) sony camera, samsung plastic :p or whatever...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I can't wait any longer. I need some rumors or something! My old neighbor works for Google so maybe I should ask if he knows anything about the next Nexus. Him and his roommate who also works for Google both got a free Galaxy Nexus earlier this year. They're working in Marketing though so I don't how much help they'll be.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The best thing about the Nexus is that it completely nullifies this whole "Fragmentation" argument. If updates are that important, go Nexus.

One phone a year, with guaranteed updates. Sound familiar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.