Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
After much debate and reflection regarding my next mobile phone purchase, I've come to a settlement. The Galaxy Note II.

I currently own an aged work phone and an iPhone 4S. Having adored my 4S since acquisition, I certainly don't intend to throw this away and will be putting my work SIM card into it. Then, after buying the Note 2, I'll be using this as my personal phone.

But I also own a Panasonic TZ30 digital camera which uses an SD card. From what I understand about the Galaxy Note 2, it comes with a set amount of internal memory (16GB in my case) and a Micro-SD card slot. Where is this slot located? Ideally I'd like to snap a few photographs on my digital camera and then be able to quickly and easily put them onto the phone. Assuming I bought a micro-SD card and micro-SD-to-fat-SD interface card for the TZ30, will the camera be able to take pictures as usual and will Android be able to pick up the photos? I come from a strong Mac/Linux background and don't mind dropping to command line if it's available.

Apologies if my Android-n00bn3ss is evident here.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Once I received my Note 2 in the mail I had no doubt that this was the best phone for me. Even if the iPhone 5 was free and the Note 2 was still $300 I would gladly still pay $300. The entire package just comes together. And you get use to the size very quick. Going back down to the Nexus felt like going back down to a 3.5" iPhone.
Many people here will say that the phone is too big and I don't blame them. I feel that the iPhone 5 is too small so don't blame me. No different if you try on a pair a pants that fit you fine but may be too big for someone else. Samsung is on the right track by releasing different models because one model just does not fit everyone. Luckily for them Android is built to accept a wide range of sizes.
I just don't have faith right now with Apple's game plan. Releasing another "s" model will keep me with Samsung/Android. It's like I already know that the Samsung S4 and Note 3 will be better than a iPhone 5s. I believe Apple is going to be rushed into releasing a iPhone 5s months before the their typical release date.

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Once I received my Note 2 in the mail I had no doubt that this was the best phone for me. Even if the iPhone 5 was free and the Note 2 was still $300 I would gladly still pay $300. The entire package just comes together. And you get use to the size very quick. Going back down to the Nexus felt like going back down to a 3.5" iPhone.
Many people here will say that the phone is too big and I don't blame them. I feel that the iPhone 5 is too small so don't blame me. No different if you try on a pair a pants that fit you fine but may be too big for someone else. Samsung is on the right track by releasing different models because one model just does not fit everyone. Luckily for them Android is built to accept a wide range of sizes.
I just don't have faith right now with Apple's game plan. Releasing another "s" model will keep me with Samsung/Android. It's like I already know that the Samsung S4 and Note 3 will be better than a iPhone 5s. I believe Apple is going to be rushed into releasing a iPhone 5s months before the their typical release date.

Had the original Note and like it a lot but it was just too big to pocket comfortably. Changed to the Galaxy S3 and still love it. I'm sure note 2 is awesome, but I just want something. Can stick in my pocket a bit easier. I had no problem with the note though.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I bet there will be other color options in the future but for now, it was a fake.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/28/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-reportedly-coming-in-black/

Uhh, that sucks. I don't get why they don't release it it black from the start, anyway? Surely it would be the most popular color? Especially since the size is a hurdle for many to get over (myself included), and black is the color that makes a big device stand out the least.

I don't like it at all in white, and the grey is...just kind of ok. Come on, Sammy :(

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I love the metallic titanium color. But the phone is in a case all the time anyway, so phone color doesn't really matter to me.

I just wish I could get the AT&T OTA update to push through completely.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
If Samsung releases a brushed metallic black, that'd be really nice. If it's just a plain black like the S3, that'd be kind of boring. I love the metallic brushed grey on the Note II right now. It's still dark that the screen blends in but when it hits the light, it looks pretty neat.

I'm sure there will be other colors soon, black, brown, blue..

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Looks like "Amber Brown" will be the next color, for Japan at least..

brown-samsung-galaxy-note-2-sc-02e-photos1.jpg

http://www.gizchina.com/2013/01/03/real-photos-and-unboxing-of-amber-brown-samsung-galaxy-note-2/

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
I have this phone but I'm very ambivalent in my feelings toward it. The glowing soft keys/capacitive touch keys are a pain in the a$$. I keep hit the back button and losing the page I'm on... also, when playing a game of Monopoly in a dark room those bottom touch keys still glow. Yuck! Is there a way to disable them glowing every damn time I touch the phone? Is there a way to disable them in definetly while I'm surfing the web? They are very annoying.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I have this phone but I'm very ambivalent in my feelings toward it. The glowing soft keys/capacitive touch keys are a pain in the a$$. I keep hit the back button and losing the page I'm on... also, when playing a game of Monopoly in a dark room those bottom touch keys still glow. Yuck! Is there a way to disable them glowing every damn time I touch the phone? Is there a way to disable them in definetly while I'm surfing the web? They are very annoying.

it's clearly in the settings

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010

there is! its under the display setting all the way at the bottom

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Mea culpa you're right.

The Galaxy Note is like a VW Cabriolet. To the average man it's likely desirable at some level but when 7 out of 10 owners of the VW Cab are women it's pretty clear it's a woman's car overall.

The Galaxy Note is the Cabrio of smartphones. Women love it because they have handbags and it's easy to see because it's huge. Unless you carry a murse it's not likely the right pone for the average male that needs to slide it in the back pocket.

What man puts his phone in his back pocket? The only people I see with their phone jammed in their back pocket are teenage girls.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Long time iphone user here and thinking about switching to the Note 2. I played with it in the store and its massive compared to the iPhone.

I think I could get used to it though. My concern is the layout and the unpolished look of the OS. Is The Android learning curve pretty steep? I would also like to customize and it I've been reading through Droid forums and it seems pretty daunting.

I'm used to Cydia and SSH'ing into iPhones, iPads, etc and consider myself somewhat tech savvy but doing it on an Android seems a little overwhelming.

Any input from long time iphone users that went to the Note 2 and customizing?

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Is The Android learning curve pretty steep?

I found it not steep at all - less than going to a smart phone in the first place. :) .......... certainly less than going from Windows to Mac which was pretty intuitive.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Is The Android learning curve pretty steep?
Any input from long time iphone users that went to the Note 2 and customizing?

I'd like to know this too.

I had a 3GS, 4 and 4S before switching to Android, I am technically inept and was really worried that I would not be able to cope with Android, honestly, it is not as daunting as a lot of people seem to think, I was able to set up my phone in the car park outside the shop and it was working using my bluetooth in my car on the way home.

I am not confident enough in my abilities to root, flash or whatever it is called to my phone. That doesn't mean that I don't want it to be customised to me, I followed these instructions from the below YT vid to make my S3 and nexus 4 individual (Although it is specifically meant for a Note 2). I don't think I could go back to iOS any time soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39PXAr9_F8&list=WL610C96A551E5371A

The original idea was from his first vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I had a 3GS, 4 and 4S before switching to Android, I am technically inept and was really worried that I would not be able to cope with Android, honestly, it is not as daunting as a lot of people seem to think, I was able to set up my phone in the car park outside the shop and it was working using my bluetooth in my car on the way home.

I am not confident enough in my abilities to root, flash or whatever it is called to my phone. That doesn't mean that I don't want it to be customised to me, I followed these instructions from the below YT vid to make my S3 and nexus 4 individual (Although it is specifically meant for a Note 2). I don't think I could go back to iOS any time soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39PXAr9_F8&list=WL610C96A551E5371A

The original idea was from his first vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBkY3vg14JM

Well now I know what I'm doing to my S3 after work.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Is The Android learning curve pretty steep? I would also like to customize and it I've been reading through Droid forums and it seems pretty daunting.

I'm used to Cydia and SSH'ing into iPhones, iPads, etc and consider myself somewhat tech savvy but doing it on an Android seems a little overwhelming.

If you are used to that, you shouldn't have too many issues with Android. The more you want to customize and tweak the more there is to learn, but help is always just a website away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.