Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD08DMAX

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
I guess I can comment since I just got my wife a new iPhone 6 and I use a Note 3... I have absolutely no inclination whatsoever to get the 6 plus. I do like both android and ios as I also use an iPad. Just take a look at the recent home screen picture thread... Pretty boring if you ask me! You can view the note 3 homescreen thread over at xda and "note" the differences.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
You can thank Note for your 6 Plus. Besides, Note 4 will sell more than 6Plus, that I can guarantee.
P.S. I'm not an Android user.

You sir, must be joking! :eek:

The entire 1-year sales of the Note 4 *may* match what Apple sells in one quarter for the 6+.

There is no way on Gods green earth that the Note 4 will outsell the 6+. I would wager that the Note 4 will NOT outsell the *new* sales of the 5S starting from when the Note 4 launches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark
Phablets were popular for 2 years before Apple even thought of making a phablet. Stop living under a rock

There are no rocks nearby,sorry.

I'm quite aware that phablets have been popular for a couple of years, I've had a note 3. My point is that Apple has boosted the phablet interest to an all-time high.

I'm hearing of people who only two months ago would never even consider a phablet, who are now dying to have one. Why? IPhone 6 plus is why.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Ordered both the 6 and 6+, and they're decent enough phones for 2014/2015. However I think the Note 4 is insane. I loved watching the Oculus VR hooked up to the Note 4 in the demo. Clearly in its infancy, but Samsung showed us the future at their demo - Apple just showed us that they can play catchup with theirs.

Like another poster said, I'm also too caught up in the Apple ecosystem, that's why I stuck with the iPhone for another round, but I don't fool myself that Apple are leaders any more. I just think Apple's phones look stylish. They have a retroish vibe due to their 70s simplicity vibe which Ive ripped from Dieter Rams. I like it.

Last edited:

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
You sir, must be joking! :eek:

The entire 1-year sales of the Note 4 *may* match what Apple sells in one quarter for the 6+.

There is no way on Gods green earth that the Note 4 will outsell the 6+. I would wager that the Note 4 will NOT outsell the *new* sales of the 5S starting from when the Note 4 launches.

There is a world outside the American borders. Note is extremely popular in Asian markets.

sometimesido

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
LOL @ rubbing in their faces.

One of the reasons why I didn't like talking to other Android folks were comments like these. It seems like there are people like this everywhere.

I had a Note 3, and now I have iPhone 6 Plus. Before that, I've had various iPhones and Android phones.

Yes, I didn't like touchwiz and I was able to get around it by rooting the phone and putting different launcher on it. That made a world of difference and gained additional functionality. You know, just like you can jailbrake an iPhone to gain additional functionality.

Both the iPhone line and Note line has its ups and downs. I just see these kind of threads as entertainment. "oh look, another who's **** is bigger contest."

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
These threads are always interesting to me. Last year with the iPhone 5s I finally decided I was not going to take it any more from Apple. Was tired of the same old UI and same small screen. I jumped to Android with the Note 3. And then dove in even further with custom ROMs and development of those. Even got a Samsung Galaxy Tab pro and a OnePlus One. It has honestly been a blast.

Did I stay involved with iOS and Apple however. Of course. I have my iPad and iPad mini which I use for work stuff. I also bought my wife the 5S and just bought her the new 6. It all "just works." But is boooooooorrrrrrring. :eek:

As for what I will do for my next phone, I still have not fully decided. I want to check out the iPhone 6+. Saw it in the Apple Store and held it. It is made beautifully. Looks great. iOS is....exactly the same though. And who knows when jailbreak will come out. Also, I am still waiting for more real world battery tests on the 6+. And I want to see camera comparisons between the iPhone 6 and Note 4 for sure.

What will I end up with. We shall see next month. If I order the IPhone 6+ now, it will take till then to get it anyways. Then I will have time to check out the Note 4 and maybe the next great Nexus too. :cool:

Now will there be lines for the Note 4 you ask? Heck no. For one, Samsung has massive production capacity. Two, it is a niche phone for a niche market. Samsung knows that. The people that buy it know that. That is why Samsung has the Galaxy S line and releases it at a separate time, earlier on.

If Apple had been smart, they would have staggered their release of the 6 and 6+. That way you would avoid all this nonsense of everyone just buying the 6+ thinking that they need that one because it is Apples new "best phone." Then they all try it out and realize, "whoops, not for me", and return it. If Apple were smart, they would have released the 6 now, then the 6+ later. Those who really wanted the larger phone would have checked out the 6 first, and then if they truly wanted the 6+, would have passed on the 6 and waited. Others would have just gone with the 6. Apple would not be getting this slew of returns that they are getting. But oh well. I digress. Lol.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Ordered both the 6 and 6+, and they're decent enough phones for 2014/2015. However I think the Note 4 is insane. I loved watching the Oculus VR hooked up to the Note 4 in the demo. Clearly in its infancy, but Samsung showed us the future at their demo - Apple just showed us that they can play catchup with theirs.

Like another poster said, I'm also too caught up in the Apple ecosystem, that's why I stuck with the iPhone for another round, but I don't fool myself that Apple are leaders any more. I just think Apple's phones look stylish. They have a retroish vibe due to their 70s simplicity vibe which Ive ripped from Dieter Rams. I like it.

Oculus demoed the future. Fixed that for you. Samsung just ripped it from Oculus. Always followers, never leaders.

This thread should be moved out of this sub-forum.

----------

These threads are always interesting to me. Last year with the iPhone 5s I finally decided I was not going to take it any more from Apple. Was tired of the same old UI and same small screen. I jumped to Android with the Note 3. And then dove in even further with custom ROMs and development of those. Even got a Samsung Galaxy Tab pro and a OnePlus One. It has honestly been a blast.

Did I stay involved with iOS and Apple however. Of course. I have my iPad and iPad mini which I use for work stuff. I also bought my wife the 5S and just bought her the new 6. It all "just works." But is boooooooorrrrrrring. :eek:

As for what I will do for my next phone, I still have not fully decided. I want to check out the iPhone 6+. Saw it in the Apple Store and held it. It is made beautifully. Looks great. iOS is....exactly the same though. And who knows when jailbreak will come out. Also, I am still waiting for more real world battery tests on the 6+. And I want to see camera comparisons between the iPhone 6 and Note 4 for sure.

What will I end up with. We shall see next month. If I order the IPhone 6+ now, it will take till then to get it anyways. Then I will have time to check out the Note 4 and maybe the next great Nexus too. :cool:

Now will there be lines for the Note 4 you ask? Heck no. It is a niche phone for a niche market. Samsung knows that. The people that buy it know that. That is why Samsung has the Galaxy S line and releases it at a separate time, earlier on.

If Apple had been smart, they would have staggered their release of the 6 and 6+. That way you would avoid all this nonsense of everyone just buying the 6+ thinking that they need that one because it is Apples new "best phone." Then they all try it out and realize, "whoops, not for me", and return it. If Apple were smart, they would have released the 6 now, then the 6+ later. Those who really wanted the larger phone would have checked out the 6 first, and then if they truly wanted the 6+, would have passed on the 6 and waited. Others would have just gone with the 6. Apple would not be getting this slew of returns that they are getting. But oh well. I digress. Lol.

I love the generalization and anecdotal (but logically flawed) evidence as why Apple should of done X instead of Y.

There are no lines for any Samsung product. Not because they are all niche products. It's because they all suck. On Android, I see so many other companies making truly great products. Samsung isn't on that list. HTC, Sony, Motorola, Lenovo, Huawei, Oppo, OnePlus, Smartisan, Xiaomi and so many others are. Again, all my opinions. Feel free to disagree and say Samsung makes the best stuff ever.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Oculus demoed the future. Fixed that for you. Samsung just ripped it from Oculus. Always followers, never leaders.

It was a collaboration. Fixed that for you (eww, you've made me sound like a snotty internet cave-dweller now).

Followers comment is guff. Samsung create componentry. Hardware is hard. Apple gave real engineering and tech up. They do industrial design, software and component arrangement now.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
OP does it make you feel better than everyone else that you bought, what you think, is the superior phone? Do you laugh at people you see on the street who don't own iPhones? Eesh.

They're expecting/hoping for the new Note to sell 10m in its first month. That's amazing for a phone not made by Apple.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Apple doesn't have to be a leader, they have to produce products that reflect their corporate identity. I'm not caught up in their ecosystem, I'm caught up in the simplicity of the operation of their phones. But to each their own.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It was a collaboration. Fixed that for you (eww, you've made me sound like a snotty internet cave-dweller now).

Followers comment is guff. Samsung create componentry. Hardware is hard. Apple gave real engineering and tech up. They do industrial design, software and component arrangement now.

Yawn. I guess the A8 was designed by fairies and pixie dust. And actually getting a fingerprint sensor that works, that's just magic. You can call me whatever the heck you want. Freedom of speech.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
That was while there was no apple phablet to cannibalize sales.

Its not going to cannibalize anything. Note has already proven itself to phablet customers and majority of them will not switch to an inferior product. Apple may have had huge preorder numbers, but how many of them were actually for the Plus? Judging by forums, there were less than a dozen Plus-es per store. How will that cannibalize anything?

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Apple doesn't have to be a leader, they have to produce products that reflect their corporate identity. I'm not caught up in their ecosystem, I'm caught up in the simplicity of the operation of their phones. But to each their own.

Eww. 'Corporate identity'.

You'd have been sacked before I could post this reply if you were an Apple's spokesperson.

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark
Its not going to cannibalize anything. Note has already proven itself to phablet customers and majority of them will not switch to an inferior product. Apple may have had huge preorder numbers, but how many of them were actually for the Plus? Judging by forums, there were less than a dozen Plus-es per store. How will that cannibalize anything?

Well, if apple hadnt launched the 6 plus then I would have gotten the note 4. AS would quite a few others I know. I'm betting that this is NOT out of the ordinary, many potential customers Will go for the iPhone instead.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Because that's how the market works. Previously it had almost no competition in the extra large sized screen segment of the market, thus anyone who wanted one that large had to opt for the Note or lesser devices from smaller OEMs. Now it has to stand against the mother of all competition in an iPhone of similar size. So we very well could see slower sales due to heavy competition from the 6 Plus this time around. We'll have to wait and see.

Slowpc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2013
Winston Salem NC
I have two co-workers in my area that will be pre-ordering their devices...
Will check it out when they get it , but still... can't go back to android.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I don't know what you expect as they have a specific corporate culture. For them to produce an android based phone????

Are you just saying random things and stringing them together. Are the only available options for a tech firm to produce things that either fit a 'corporate image' or an android phone? :D

Is there a sale on question marks????

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida

This thread should be moved out of this sub-forum.

----------

I love the generalization and anecdotal (but logically flawed) evidence as why Apple should of done X instead of Y.

There are no lines for any Samsung product. Not because they are all niche products. It's because they all suck. On Android, I see so many other companies making truly great products. Samsung isn't on that list. HTC, Sony, Motorola, Lenovo, Huawei, Oppo, OnePlus, Smartisan, Xiaomi and so many others are. Again, all my opinions. Feel free to disagree and say Samsung makes the best stuff ever.

Please explain how my logic is flawed. How would Apple splitting their product launch have made things worse? You are going to tell me that there are not returns of the iPhone 6+ happening and there are not people deciding that the 6+ is not for them? That returns of open product with no restock fee is not hurting Apple's bottom line? And that at least some of those returns could not have been avoided by allowing people to maybe check out the devices first before buying it without laying hands on it just because the heard that the bigger iPhone is better NAD has better features? OK.

As to Samsung being the best. Haha. No. I just use what I like and what fits my needs. That is what any consumer should do. Not just buy the "next big thing" or the "best iPhone we have ever made" for the sake of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.