Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Just a little observation. We all know I'm a phone whore, and switch phones quite often. I think the past 6 years or so, I've owned maybe 15 to 17 different smartphones.

Well, I just realized the T-Mobile Note 5 I am using, I got the week they came out last August 2015, it is now April 2016, and I am still using the same phone. This has got to be a record for me, using one phone for almost 8 months.

Do I love the Note 5 and think it's the best phone ever created ? Nope not at all. But I am satisfied with it, and comfortable with it. I just don't see another phone I feel is a worthy upgrade. Yes the Nexus 6P IMO is probably the best Android phone out, but to me the 6P from the N5 is a side grade, it's not better and not worse. So no reason to switch from the Note 5 to the Nexus 6P. I am no Apple fan, so the iPhone 6S Plus is a big no no for me, zero reason to downgrade to iOS.

Other than my Note 5, and yes Nexus 6P is awesome, but other than that, I just haven't seen a phablet phone released since the Note 5 that is a massive night and day upgrade. What would I really gain going to some other phone released recently ?

I think I maybe hold onto this Note 5 a solid 12 months, and wait for the HTC Nexus-N phone this September.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Just a little observation. We all know I'm a phone whore, and switch phones quite often. I think the past 6 years or so, I've owned maybe 15 to 17 different smartphones.

Well, I just realized the T-Mobile Note 5 I am using, I got the week they came out last August 2015, it is now April 2016, and I am still using the same phone. This has got to be a record for me, using one phone for almost 8 months.

Do I love the Note 5 and think it's the best phone ever created ? Nope not at all. But I am satisfied with it, and comfortable with it. I just don't see another phone I feel is a worthy upgrade. Yes the Nexus 6P IMO is probably the best Android phone out, but to me the 6P from the N5 is a side grade, it's not better and not worse. So no reason to switch from the Note 5 to the Nexus 6P. I am no Apple fan, so the iPhone 6S Plus is a big no no for me, zero reason to downgrade to iOS.

Other than my Note 5, and yes Nexus 6P is awesome, but other than that, I just haven't seen a phablet phone released since the Note 5 that is a massive night and day upgrade. What would I really gain going to some other phone released recently ?

I think I maybe hold onto this Note 5 a solid 12 months, and wait for the HTC Nexus-N phone this September.

Well, my Note 5 is the best phone ever. To this day, the camera still is great, the software is still good (I do wish Tmobile would update to MM), the battery is fine, and the s pen is great. As good as it is, I am really looking forward toward the Note 6. If the rumors are true about the upgrades, I will upgrade. We'll see...

Reactions: Tig Bitties

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Do I love the Note 5 and think it's the best phone ever created ? Nope not at all.

Well, I do think it's the best phone ever created. Besides the specs which are top of the line (well 6 months ago) you also have the very small bezel to screen and a beautiful design. It's also set as unique (bah LG doesn't count) in having the stylus/digitizer and a damn good one at that. I'm stuck on mine like glue, well until the Note 6.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Do I think the Note 5 is the best phone ever ? Absolutely not, I am upset my T-Mobile version still didn't get the MM update, and I am not the biggest Touchwiz fan. But at least the T-Mobile version can be rooted and has custom ROM development, which was a major reason I chose T-Mobile in the first place.

I think of the phablet phones of 2015; Note 5, iPhone 6S Plus, and Nexus 6P, all three of these being fantastic phones, and you can't go wrong with any of them. Personally if buying all over last year, I'd have chosen the Nexus 6P, but I bought my Note 5 in August.

My point is, phones haven gotten so fast and good in the last year+, there's no logical reason to keep upgrading all the time. Once a year is more than enough.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I'm definitely gonna grab the Note 6. But this time I won't be getting rid of my current phone, 7 edge.

Reactions: yui4

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
That's awesome, the Note 5 is still a really great phone.

The longest I've ever kept a phone was my iPhone 3G, had that one for 2 years. The longest I kept an android phone as a daily driver was my HTC One M8, that lasted 10 months.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
The HTC 10 is very tempting, wait to see real world reviews. But for sure the next Nexus phone this Fall, will most likely be my next, or possibly the Note 6, but I'm afraid it will be locked down like the new S7's, no root, no ROM's :(

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I'm definitely gonna grab the Note 6. But this time I won't be getting rid of my current phone, 7 edge.

Very redundant to have two big screen Samsung devices when the only major difference involves the stylus. Both will probably water resistant, have the same camera sensor. I can just see the Note 6 having a retina scanner, 6GB of RAM (if possible), and a 4K display.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I love nearly everything about the Note 5 except the lack of updates and TouchWiz. The display, camera, design, hardware, and fingerprint scanner are all top notch.

99.999% of TouchWiz complaints can be dismissed by just installing Google Now Launcher from the Play Store.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
99.999% of TouchWiz complaints can be dismissed by just installing Google Now Launcher from the Play Store.

Doesn't stop the bloatware, performance decrease, overhead, or immense skinning of system apps. I know that I can install launchers, but it doesn't get rid of a lot of TouchWiz for me. It would only dismiss about 50% of my complaints honestly.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

That's completely false. Aggressive ram management cannot be fixed with a simple launcher change in the S6 series. Touchwiz, at least in its mainstream form, bogged down over time. That's the biggest complaint I hear from Samsung owners that have their phones for more than a year.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
My point is, phones haven gotten so fast and good in the last year+, there's no logical reason to keep upgrading all the time. Once a year is more than enough.
I buy a new phone whenever there is something I like and I hang onto those phones for several years to go back and use whenever I want.

I bought my Note 5 in January and the S7 Edge in March just like I still own a 6+, 6S and a 6S+ and I use them each and everyday. Not all of them are activated and I have a few other Samsung phones from last year.

I won't be buying anything else till I see what the Next Nexus is like and what the Note 6 has to offer. And, I still hang on to all the other old phones I have.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Let's see how long have I owned each smartphone

iPhone 3G- 13 months
iPhone 4- 19 months
Samsung Galaxy Y - 1 month
Samsung galaxy note 1- 16 months
Samsung Galaxy S4- 6 months
iPhone 5S- 28 days
Samsung galaxy note 3- 5 months
Samsung Galaxy S5- 5 months
iPhone 6 Plus - 10 months
iPhone 6S plus - 6 months

Other phones:

LG G3- 3 days
Note 4- 3 weeks

It's a shame they didn't bring the note 5 to Europe. I hope they bring the note 6 here.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I enjoyed my brief spell with the Note 5. It is a damn fine phone and very fast. Good camera too.
Sometimes I think should I have kept it to see if I got used to its size.

It will be interesting to see where they take the phone next.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Similar for me, albeit with an S6 Edge.

I would like an S7 but I'm genuinely just happy with my current phone, and have no reason to pay a premium for the newer phone.

For the first time in the past 3 years, I'm basically happy with my phone for the foreseeable future.

It feels weird. Dirty, even.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
That's completely false. Aggressive ram management cannot be fixed with a simple launcher change in the S6 series. Touchwiz, at least in its mainstream form, bogged down over time. That's the biggest complaint I hear from Samsung owners that have their phones for more than a year.

This! and the reason I got rid of my Galaxy S6...

Reactions: nviz22

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Sounds like a good plan holding onto the Note 5 until the HTC Nexus...
or even Note 6.

I thought Note 5 was too experimental like what Samsung was doing all last year. I didn't like them removing the basic features. To phone fanatics, stuff like removable battery doesn't matter. Maybe Samsung will return to their senses with the Note 6 and refine what the Note 5 is like they did to the S7 series had done to the S6. Be pretty cool to have the Note 6 be water-resistant too.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
My Note 5 is second, only to my very enjoyable Nexus 6P.

Being partial to pure Android 6.x.x as well as the excellent design done by Huawei, makes it my ideal Android Smartphone. A bit slippery, the addition of a Spigen Thin Fit Case turns it into a delightful tactile experience.

Battery life has been even better than I anticipated, and the longest of any of my flagship smartphones to date.

Perfect? No. Yet awfully close for my preferences. If it had a full 6.0" display I'd be thrilled. :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I like my Note 5. I see newer phones coming out and some things intrigue me - but nothing would get me to upgrade/update right now. I'm quite content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.