Galaxy Note, tablets, phones, and screen sizes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Just announced, the Samsung Galaxy Note: http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/01/samsung-galaxy-note-official-5-3-inch-super-amoled-display-s/

They claim it's the start to a new category of devices. What do you think? I actually think it's true.

I know there are varying opinions on screen size... I'm one of the people that want a big screen. When I say "big", I mean as big as I can get. I can fit up to a 6-inch device in my pocket.

Tablets seem like toys now (my opinion). They run phone OS's, and they're unpocketable. Why not just get a big pocketable phone? My iPad 2 was annoying to carry around, and it couldn't do ANYTHING that my phone couldn't do. That's why I sold it and don't plan on buying a tablet any near time in the future.

This is a pretty broad discussion obviously. Feel free to discuss your opinions. I am interested in some answers from everyone though; Do you want a big phone or a small phone? Why? What things stop you from wanting a [big]/[small] phone?

Personally, I want a big screen because I want to be able to 1. comfortably browse the web on the go, 2. watch YouTube and show videos to others, 3. type easier, 4. basically everything I'd do would be more comfortable with a large screen. haha. And I see no reason not to have a big phone, considering my pockets could hold one. My Infuse is insanely thin. I feel like most people overestimate the size of large screened phones. I don't feel a difference between my Infuse in my pocket and my iPhone in my pocket. But when using the phones... the iPhone feels so tiny.

Btw, I do realize this is all my opinion and nothing here is a "fact" I really want to hear your opinions!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. troop231 macrumors 603

I think 5.3" is too big for a phone, it looks retarded to see people talking on anything larger than a 4" screen IMO.

4. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

It would become normal, and no one would consider it retarded. Just sayin'... I'm sure half the things we do nowadays would look "retarded" to someone from forever ago.

I'm not trying to attack your opinion. I'm hoping you have other reasons for not liking big screens

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I remember playing with the Dell Streak at Best Buy, and I was with a few friends of mine and everyone thought that a 5" screen on a phone was ludicrous, now Samsung is one-upping Dell with a 5.3" display :rolleyes:

6. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The Streak sucked. But yeah, Samsung's pretty much taking a hint from Dell :p

7. troop231 macrumors 603

Might as well make a belt holster for your iPad! :p

8. troop231 macrumors 603

9. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

People say things like that a lot... "Just get a tablet" But the point of a big phone for a lot of people is NOT having a tablet. They don't fit in your pocket and they're a pain to carry around unless you have some sort of huge jacket :p And like I said in my first post, I don't want to have two devices running a phone OS.

10. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

It looks surprisingly like what we are visualizing the new iPhone design to be, just bigger

11. macinnv macrumors regular

Im an Android user and have owned 4 different devices over the past few years, when I get bored of one I sell it on eBay and pick up another. I've tried the larger screens but after much use, I'm not a fan. My 3 main gripes to larger screens are batter life, it doesnt fit in the average persons pocket and its difficult to hold. Just my 2 cents..

12. troop231 macrumors 603

Yeah, the only reason I have an iPad is to test universal apps that I'm developing out, otherwise it's a complete waste for my needs. It just sits on my desk with the screen off 24/7 unless I go on an occasional trip on an airplane.

13. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I guess they would to a certain extent... but I think Samsung is going after another market altogether. I think it's for people who don't want to carry around a 10" tablet everywhere they go, but also aren't satisfied with just their 3.5" phone screen. So for them, having a single device that can perform both tablet tasks and phone tasks would be great. And at 5", you get some screen real estate, but nothing that outrageous.

As for carrying it around... I suppose that would be a pain for small pockets. And phone calls... that might be awkward too. But I definitely see a market for this... however specific that market is.

14. blunti, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

blunti macrumors 6502a

5.3" is just too big imo. what's next? we're gonna be running around with 30" screens on the near future?

In my opinion they need to work in battery life first and then increase the screen size...

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I actually agree with OP. It looks like a really nice device, it looks like an ideal device for businesses and college students.

However, if I'd only use a bluetooth earset if i plan on making calls on it.

But wait, can it do everything a tablet can? a 9.7" screen is better than a 5.3", plus it runs Android. Also, is it as portable as current smartphones? I'd say a smaller phone is definitely more portable.

So i guess it's up to preference, but i'll wait and see what the iPhone 5 has to offer. My personal limit is a 4" screen on a smartphone, anything more is confused whether it's a smartphone or tablet.

Also, Samsung may be too early to the party. The tablet and smartphone industries are just being stabilized, give it a few years and i can see this product doing great.

16. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The Note has a 2,500mAh battery apparently ;) I'm no engineer, but I'm guessing bigger devices = more space to put great internals. I love it

17. blunti macrumors 6502a

well 2500 is definitely an improvement :)