Galaxy Pad--Does it or doesn't it ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mapmonkey, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Mapmonkey, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

Mapmonkey macrumors regular

Ok just a bit of fun here but saw this Galaxy commercial on our local tv this evening.

Now does he actually manage to put this highly original Samsung product :rolleyes: inside his suit pocket or not. On a large screen tv it certainly doesn't look like it. And the scene cuts away before we see his hand leave the device.

Take a look on Youtube link here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n89q3PddsoQ ------------UPDATED LINK

See what you think.

AND yes I know I can't even think about it with my iPad. One, I wouldn't want to and two, I don't wear a suit.

Seen these things in the store here over the weekend and Steve Jobs is right about 7 inch screens. Too big as a phone/camera and too small to read books or surf the web. If you are gonna get a tablet device get a decent size screen. The iPad size is just right:D

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

7" is pretty cool if you just have a dumb phone, but if you have a smartphone (especially a big one like the EVO or Droid) then I don't really see the point.

3. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I'd buy one if it wasn't so expensive. If Apple produced a 7 incher, they could probably do it in the $300 to $400 range. I just don't see people running to the Tab when the iPad costs less and you get more. I would say that it'll appeal more to businesses but I think you'll see that with the Playbook.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I read a recent review of this, and saw the video and other review videos.

It looks like it would be quite good for reading e-books, as the somewhat smaller, lighter device has better ergonomics for holding with one hand, and about the same size as a paperback novel. Then again, so is the Archos 70 tablet.

The review I read said that Flash still runs poorly on the Galaxy Tab, so the "full Internet experience" still leaves something to be desired. One other noted drawback was the very limited selection of Android apps specifically geared for the Galaxy's larger screen.

Speaking of Archos: Supposedly, Archos is releasing a 10.1" tablet, the 101, very soon. That seems to me a more direct competitor to the iPad.

5. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I don't see him put it in. I see him take it out. At what time point are u referring to?

6. Mapmonkey thread starter macrumors regular

My bad, wrong ad link,it's this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n89q3PddsoQ

at 13 seconds.

Sorry ladies and gentlemen.:eek:

7. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I am going to the T mobile store tomorrow to check them out.

I'm pretty sure it will fit in my pockets though. Especially my jacket pocket.

8. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

With Apple's desire to constantly make smaller devices I'll wait for the Inevitable 7" Ipad to compliment it's larger brother.

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i looked at the new verizon holiday commercial....

were a little boy holds and plays with the galaxy tab,

and boy.....that's small....... looks like 2 EVO's taped together....:eek:

looks nice.....

10. Syk macrumors 6502a

Looks like it fit in his suit coat to me, you can see where the outline from it forms

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 3G Tab costs a little less than the 3G iPad.

It looks like he puts it in the pocket, but remember, they may have tailored that suit to accept the Tab.

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I know Steve can always change his mind, but he already said a 7" isn't in the works. Just saying, you may waiting a while. You'd probably be better off waiting until these other 7" tablets get their kinks worked out than waiting for a 7" iPad.

13. mdoyle macrumors member

Had a play with one in Tesco the other day and have to say for something soo expensive it feels so cheap. The build quality compared to the ipad is poor. The touch screen isn't in the same league as the ipad and compared to the ipad OS the Galaxy Android OS it is more awkward to use.

Apple have nothing to worry about here.

14. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Looks like a big Sony PSP to me, only with fewer games. Which is fine if that's what you want, but I think the larger screen of the iPad opens up a lot of possibilities that just won't work well on a screen half as large no matter what the resolution, because your fingers can't get smaller.

15. Vihzel macrumors 6502

I can definitely see the 7" working. It looks like a beautiful and well proportioned device for use with one hand. I think everyone can agree with the iPad gets a bit heavy while trying to just hold it with one hand for an extended period of time. I think that the Galaxy Tab is a good first start for Android but Google needs to first come out with Honeycomb before tablets can be optimized for it.

16. gratui macrumors member

Exactly. I played with this device last Sunday in Carphonewarehouse. I did not see any helpful this tablet can bring to us. 7" can do nothing with normal websites.

17. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

The model they used in the commerical is hot, just saying.

18. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

$29? lol

The thing is just too wee!! may as well just stick with your iPhone or whatever rather than bother with a half sized tablet/big phone :rolleyes: this thing only appeals to people who refuse to buy apple products

I have an iPad and love it but while the resolution is good on the galaxy, the screen size isn't good enough to have software take advantage :confused:

19. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Is there a WiFi only option that costs $499?

9.7 inch iPad compared to 7 inch Tab at about a $30 difference. It seems a bit expensive to me especially considering the robust App store offerings with Apple not to mention iTunes. It seems like a no-brainer.

That's what I meant. What you pay for versus what you get. I think the Playbook will do better. Just my opinion.

20. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

its plastic as well lol :p the lack of plastic makes the iPad feel higher quality as well

21. Syk macrumors 6502a

The PlayBook does look good. I'm waiting to hear pricing and how many developers are going to develop for it. Hopefully they don't make it route through their BIS.

The Tab price is just too high IMO. Another thing thats killing the Tab is very little advertising and Google saying 2.2 isn't optimized for tablets, then you have all the talk about 2.3 and 3.0 it's all confusing for the novice to understand.

I'm going to wait for the tablets to come out in 2011 and also see with the iPad 2 has to offer and how they all compare.

Unless you're getting a tab with a full OS you're going to have to have developers creating apps and also have companies like netflix, hulu,facebook and others support it.

22. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Yeah, it almost seems that some of the competition's models are geared for low market penetration. Perhaps the primary goal is to gather market data and find out how people will actually use these devices.

The low visibility, conflicted messages from stake-holders (Android 2.x isn't for Tablets, etc.) and the "statistic" driven rather than function driven marketing campaigns aren't setting the stage to sweep away iPad any time soon.

By statistic driven, I mean marketing focused on processor speed, RAM, etc. Apple has driven iPad by showing it being used for different applications. The Apple commercials never mention processors, ram, or gigahertz. Most of those things don't mean much to consumers anyway.

I liked this Korean commercial more than the US commercials. It was focused on the functions you could perform with a Galaxy Tab. They cheated a little by just naming the use case and saying "Tab" (instead of showing the actual app). They did show him using the ebook reader -- and at the end they did a few stills of what looked like mostly web pages.

23. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

I really think RIM is gearing this thing to be the iPad of the Corporate World. By example, MIS in my company doesn't want to support another platform in iOS. Essentially, a Blackberry is already supported even if it's a BIG one for all practical purposes. Hahaha. There's really no transition, testing, or development needed.

I think that's what RIM is hoping to cash in on.

24. Syk macrumors 6502a

We have a BES server here too but we're not locked in on BlackBerry. We have a custom app that runs on WinMo but looking to add it to Android sometime next year.

RIM does seem to have the business ear for now but iPad is making strides but by adding a camera (some places won't allow you to enter) and touting flash they seem to be marketing more toward the consumer.

I'm one of the few who likes the 7" design and feel it's more portable for on the go.

The Tab would be on my list if not for the price although I guess it does compare to the ipad 3G version but also will it get Android 3.0. I hear the LG tablet looks to be nice bigger than the tab but smaller than the current iPad

25. aberrero macrumors 6502a

As a reading device, the iPad is excessively large. I love it for PDFs, but for books it is not as convenient as a 7" or 6" display. I think there could be a real market for the Galaxy Tab, assuming they price it better.