Galaxy Player 5.0 Look Awesome!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MallCop, Oct 19, 2011.

1. MallCop macrumors 6502

I was watching some reviews on youtube and that thing looks awesome. I think I will be picking one up soon. Anyone know if I can transfer my music and movies from iTunes onto a memory card that will play on this? I would love Apple to make a device like this. I have an iPhone and iPad but want something in between.

2. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

5 inch screen!!!!! Android of course and there giant screens. What operating system is your computer on?

3. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Lion

4. WLS macrumors 65816

No you can't transfer your iTunes music to a card and just play them. If you have a lot of iTunes music that is a big problem. The screen resolution of the Galaxy is much poorer than the Touch also. It's not good enough yet for me. So I'm waiting for Apple to bring a new device for this niche next year. Maybe it will be announced around CES maybe not. I don't think they will call it a Touch though. That seems to be at EOL. Like the Classic

5. lyunmac macrumors member

I bought the galaxy player 4.0 this week and it connects fine with my new mac mini running lion. i just dragged and dropped the music onto the micro sd card folder in the player. I copied a song I bought 2 weeks ago from iTunes and I was surprised to hear it playing on the galaxy player. What always held me off from buying an iPod Touch was the limited video files it could play and only having it connect to one computer. I don't know if thats the case anymore with iOS5,

6. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not purchased music mostly its ripped from CDs.
    Great so its working then. Did you copy it to the device itself or a memory card? or does it not matter? Have you tried movies? How is the screen?

7. lyunmac macrumors member

I put the memory card inside the player itself and once I connected the player to the mac mini a window popped up on the mac. It displayed all the folders inside the player and one folder was the micro sd card folder. I just dragged my music onto that folder. I did all this without the samsung kies application which many people complain about. I put an mp4 movie in it and it played fine. The screen is great, sure its not as crisp as the current iPod touch but its still a great screen to watch on.

8. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Great thanks! I may go pick it up this weekend.

9. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

I really care about the quality of sound and the battery. About the system, I really love ios even though android is much more convenience in some fields like as transfer date.

10. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Tell us how you think of it because we all love Android.

11. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Went to best buy today to get it and it kind of felt like some cheap chinese knockoff. I didn't feel that it had the same quality as the Tab series so I picked up a nano to use as a watch instead.

12. fsangiul macrumors newbie

Dude, stop insisting that the ipod touch is at EOL.

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The Samsing 4.0 is a nice device with 1/2" more screen than my Touch. Stereo speakers and better cameras, GPS, microSD expansion, and FM radio make it worth the $30 premium over the $199 8gb Touch. Far better stock media support too. Audio (same songs through the same headphones from each) sounds about the same. Video is more impressive on the Samsung. Only the second Android media player I've tested that has the Android Market app on launch. It also came with a Samsung App Store app.

The Touch (4th gen) has a 960-by-640 screen while the Samsung 4.0 has an 800 x 480 screen. If you need more pixels than you can actually see then pick up a Touch. Something to be said for the larger screen area though. Samsung's 5" version is also available ($269 for the 8gb version). No going back once you've had a 5" player, so be warned. ;)

My review of the 4.0 is first up on my blog right now. Link in my sig.

4D

14. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats a good review. I think I was just hoping for some more "polish" like the Tab 10.1 has. Unless I can get one sub-$200 on ebay Im just going to hold out and see if Apple releases the iPad mini in a few months like I think they will.

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I agree and believe the prices for the 4.0 and 5.0 should be 10% or so less. The Samsung 5.0 is the best you'll find in that size at the moment. I've got the 5" Latte Ice Smart and the older Archos 5 and it is clear Samsung's engineering is far better than either. The 5.0 adds an LED flash to the back camera, and the camera app has what appears to be every camera feature Samsung's consumer cameras have.

16. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes if the 5.0 was more like $240ish Id like it better. Samsung makes great TV's and I have 2 of them and like them a lot and I do like my galaxy tab that I got free with the 3D tv so Samsung does make some great products.

17. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

I was thinking of getting one of these. Have a question :

With the galaxy s2 screen I found websites harder to read in portrait mode than on the 4g touch because of pixel density.
    How is the galaxy player 5 for websites in portrait mode?

18. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Excellent. It tends to default to mobile pages, but with a classic page on screen the Double-Tap and spread-finger zooms are responsive and quick. So is panning around a page.