Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mapmonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Samsung launch their iPod rip off...

"The launch of the Galaxy Player signifies two notable developments.

One is that Samsung and Google have formed a closer, stronger partnership that has moved beyond the realm of smartphones, as the Galaxy Player is the world’s first MP3 player based on Google’s Android operating system.

Another is that the Galaxy lineup is now complete, consisting of a smartphone (Galaxy S), a tablet PC (the Galaxy Tab) and an MP3 player. ......."

Full "story" here
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2931887

My response not really a rival is it! Unless your really willing to pay more than a iPod touch just for crap Korean dramas on DMB!

It's fun here in Samsungland...:D

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
For as much as I love the idea of Linux and such running beneath Android, its the final fit and finish that's never been quite there.

Transitions, icons, taskbar and just the general UI just turns me off it. To me its always looked somewhat comical, cartoonish and roughly put together. For this media player to be running this clunky UI of an OS, looking at that picture I'd be hard pressed to see it selling as well as the iPod touch. Just something about it looks...unfinished, as with most Android devices I've seen.

Maybe people could think you own an Android phone, nearly as big. They all look the same anyway. :cool:

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
Galaxy Line Devices are the biggest joke in mainstream android. The are plastic pieces of junk. I love both iOS and Android, they have their strengths and weaknesses, but anything 'Galaxy', and I am turned off. But seriously, who is going to ditch millions of songs, movies and apps as well as a familiar and comfortable OS for anything? Even if there was a Nexus player. (Which I hope there will be, made by HTC) Love iOS, but it is nice to have some freedom.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
One is that Samsung and Google have formed a closer, stronger partnership that has moved beyond the realm of smartphones, as the Galaxy Player is the world’s first MP3 player based on Google’s Android operating system.

Full "story" here
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2931887

It's fun here in Samsungland...:D

No kidding...what about Archos devices too? Sure, they're mostly crap, but the Samsung is far from the first media player running Android.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
No kidding...what about Archos devices too? Sure, they're mostly crap, but the Samsung is far from the first media player running Android.
The gen8 Archos 43it is probably the best alternative for a Touch out there right now. They've been making touchscreen PMPs longer than Apple (gen8 vs gen4 Touch) and have done a decent job with their latest. No, it doesn't look as cool (thin?) as a Touch. It stands up pretty well spec-for-spec though.

Archos 43 vs iPod Touch Showdown.

I'm not posting this to convince anyone here to choose the Archos. Android PMPs are now showing from several manufacters. The Cowon D3 is another example, although it still has room for improvement. I think competition is a good thing though. It means Apple will step up their innovation to stay ahead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.