Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
No, not for consumers but rather for geeks. The average consumer remains screwed. The average consumer doesn't know anything about rooting or ROMs.

Google should be thoroughly bashed for this but of course they will get a pass by the average geek.

I used to love everything google did but over the last two to three years I've really lost my respect for them. That is why I've migrated most everything to the Apple ecosystem and Zoho for my business.
The "average consumer" as you call it doesn't even care what version of Android their device is running as long as the device functions properly. It isn't Google's responsibility to supply updates because they don't make hardware. Android is the basis for which companies build, Android itself is not a product.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

rocknblogger said:
Yes but iPhone users can enjoy their phones for a lot longer than their Android counterparts because their devices are updated. Apple can't include some updates because the hardware just won't run it but Android devices can run the updated software but still they don't get it.

Nothing is stopping me from "enjoying" my Galaxy S II, even though it is behind software wise compared to my Galaxy Nexus.
Can you explain to me what I am missing and has made my GSII useless now because it's still on Gingerbread?

Application compatibility between the two handsets is fantastic so I know it's not the dreaded "fragmentation" people bang on about.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
That's not a viable market solution. Custom ROMs? Really?? What's a "cyanogen." Sounds like a workout supplement company.

Welcome to the wonderful world of universally-licensed operating systems, third parties, middlemen who stuff even more crap onto those universally-licesnsed operating systems, and software makers (like Google) who couldn't be bothered to give a damn.

Android OEMs are too busy racing to the bottom. And consumers are along for the ride.

You better stick with Apple. It's a scary world out there.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Android OEMs are too busy racing to the bottom. And consumers are along for the ride.
Not really Apple already dominates the bottom :p. In all seriousness why do need to bash any company that isn't Apple. Apple's products wouldn't be possible without the technology of other companies.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
The "average consumer" as you call it doesn't even care what version of Android their device is running as long as the device functions properly. It isn't Google's responsibility to supply updates because they don't make hardware. Android is the basis for which companies build, Android itself is not a product.

Just because he doesn't know it doesn't mean he's not getting screwed.

I think Google is to blame. They should put pressure on the handset makers to update all the devices that are capable of running the latest version.

But I do agree that the handset makers are also to blame.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Nothing is stopping me from "enjoying" my Galaxy S II, even though it is behind software wise compared to my Galaxy Nexus.
Can you explain to me what I am missing and has made my GSII useless now because it's still on Gingerbread?

Application compatibility between the two handsets is fantastic so I know it's not the dreaded "fragmentation" people bang on about.

Hey if you're happy that's fine but the SGS2 is capable of running ICS and if it was me I would want it. It's supposed to be the best version of Android yet. Why wouldn't you want it?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

One more thing. Android is a product even if it is given away for free to the handset makers. The handset makers don't develop Android so they are not even in the position to update it unless Google does. So no matter how you look at it the buck stops at Google.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I have an iPhone 4 and I can't have Siri because Apple wants me to buy a new phone.

Also, remember the whole first gen iPhone can't record video but jailbroken app developers can make it do it? Yeah, that was all about making you buy a new phone as well.

Exactly. I Jailbroke my iPhone and put Siri on it. Works a treat and I don't have to buy a new phone.

If Google plan on supporting their older OSs, unlike Apple, then there isn't really a problem. However if Google don't support their older OSs and move straight onto ICS, I'd feel a bit annoyed, just like I did when I found out the iPhone 4 or 3GS wouldn't be getting the full benefits of iOS 5.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Hey if you're happy that's fine but the SGS2 is capable of running ICS and if it was me I would want it. It's supposed to be the best version of Android yet. Why wouldn't you want it?

The SGSII should get ICS. This is about the original SGS.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
One more thing. Android is a product even if it is given away for free to the handset makers. The handset makers don't develop Android so they are not even in the position to update it unless Google does. So no matter how you look at it the buck stops at Google.
Just because he doesn't know it doesn't mean he's not getting screwed.

I think Google is to blame. They should put pressure on the handset makers to update all the devices that are capable of running the latest version.

But I do agree that the handset makers are also to blame.
Google doesn't make updates and they don't make hardware it is up to chip manufacturers and OEMs/ODMS to optimize what ever version of Android they are using. The handset makers makes the updates they develop Android for hardware so if anything they do development. Anyways lets imagine this Google limits hardware and software like they did with Honeycomb where they locked down the source code and allowed only basic customizations, one screen size, one aspect ratio, and same processor, look at what happened none of the products were competitive and nothing was priced competitively either. To lesser degree the same has happened Windows Phone 7 with its hardware and software limitations.

----------

The SGSII should get ICS. This is about the original SGS.
Doesn't matter the device his point was that it is always necessary to have the latest and greatest.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Google doesn't make updates and they don't make hardware it is up to chip manufacturers and OEMs/ODMS to optimize what ever version of Android they are using. The handset makers makes the updates they develop Android for hardware so if anything they do development. Anyways lets imagine this Google limits hardware and software like they did with Honeycomb where they locked down the source code and allowed only basic customizations, one screen size, one aspect ratio, and same processor, look at what happened none of the products were competitive and nothing was priced competitively either. To lesser degree the same has happened Windows Phone 7 with its hardware and software limitations.

----------

Doesn't matter the device his point was that it is always necessary to have the latest and greatest.
Yes Google doesn't make updates for the handsets I agree but the handset makers don't update Android, Google updates Android and then the handset makers get it and update it with their own bloatware or whatever they add. But they do NOT update Android as they don't develop it.

So Google creates updates and new versions and gives it to the handset makers who in turn should push the updates to the handsets. Google should pressure them to update all devices that can support the update.

If ICS is a better experience for the user and their handset can run it, the user should get it. I would think that Google would want users to have the best possible Android experience. The more happy Android users there are the better Android will do.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
Yes Google doesn't make updates for the handsets I agree but the handset makers don't update Android, Google updates Android and then the handset makers get it and update it with their own bloatware or whatever they add. But they do NOT update Android as they don't develop it.

So Google creates updates and new versions and gives it to the handset makers who in turn should push the updates to the handsets. Google should pressure them to update all devices that can support the update.

If ICS is a better experience for the user and their handset can run it, the user should get it. I would think that Google would want users to have the best possible Android experience. The more happy Android users there are the better Android will do.
Well if Samsung suddenly released Ice Cream Sandwich without Touchwiz users would freak and say what happened to my device and its different. Even the slightest changes and the slightest bugs can piss off users and cause them to hate your products forever, so you can imagine what a drastic change ICS without touchwiz would be. You gotta consider Samsung is making products not development hardware so it isn't always necessary to have the latest and greatest. Handset makers do help develop Android they contribute things like code and API's all the time. Making updates is a lengthy process and doesn't just happen over night.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Well if Samsung suddenly released Ice Cream Sandwich without Touchwiz users would freak and say what happened to my device and its different. Even the slightest changes and the slightest bugs can piss off users and cause them to hate your products forever, so you can imagine what a drastic change ICS without touchwiz would be. You gotta consider Samsung is making products not development hardware so it isn't always necessary to have the latest and greatest. Handset makers do help develop Android they contribute things like code and API's all the time. Making updates is a lengthy process and doesn't just happen over night.

You're starting to argue every point of an update. The bottom line is that users should be able to get the latest update if their handset supports it, period.

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
You're starting to argue every point of an update. The bottom line is that users should be able to get the latest update if their handset supports it, period.
Not if that update lessens the user experience and that is why Samsung isn't providing it. It isn't always necessary. Not saying it ain't necessary to provide updates they just said they don't want to get rid of touchwiz which their user base is so accustomed to having. ICE Cream Sandwich would require them to drastically change the user experience.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Not if that update lessens the user experience and that is why Samsung isn't providing it. It isn't always necessary. Not saying it ain't necessary to provide updates they just said they don't want to get rid of touchwiz which their user base is so accustomed to having. ICE Cream Sandwich would require them to drastically change the user experience.

This is what I said last "The bottom line is that users should be able to get the latest update if their handset supports it, period."

Exactly what you said "Not if that update lessens the user experience"

juliusaugustus

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
This is what I said last "The bottom line is that users should be able to get the latest update if their handset supports it, period."

Exactly what you said "Not if that update lessens the user experience"
But that is precisely why the Galaxy S isn't getting Ice Cream Sandwich

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
The OS is open, what manufacturers do with it, may not always be all that open. I don't consider encrypting boot loaders (motorola) a very open stance

I was being sarcastic :cool:
Choice... Open... Choice... Open...
I speak Googlish fluently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.