Galaxy S4 Issue

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Southernboyj, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

So I bought a Google Edition Galaxy S4 the other day.
    Tonight I *almost* dropped it.. but I caught it. After that.. the screen wouldn't turn on. No cracks or anything. The phone is fully operational but the screen is out.

If I pull the battery out and try and turn it back on.. the screen flashes on for about 1 second on the "Google" screen and then back off.. so I can see that the display itself and the digitizer work.

What would you do in this situation. My phone is rooted so I can't really send it to Samsung.. can I?

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'd use the mhl usb hdmi and see if you get a screen on the TV. Then go into superuser settings and choose unroot.

After that try doing a factory restore, it might not work but it'll at least wipe the phone before sending back for repair.

3. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I bought an mhl usb hdmi, but how do I get it to mirror the devices display?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It should automatically do so ? I know it did for me with my S4, though I did have touchwiz! could it be GE doesn't support hdmi ??? :( :(

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

It does support it, but the only way I know is to go to Settings -> Display -> Wireless display On

That would be tricky to do without the display.

6. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I bought the official samsung mhl adapter the other day and it mirrors the display when it is plugged in. There is no button pressing to activate the wired connection. I believe that setting is for miracast, haven't tried that yet.

As far as your warranty issue, do you think that the device is booting? I guess that's what youre trying to establish. I am under the impression that after unrooting superSU you can send the i9505g back for warranty service. I assume you rooted using fastboot CWM recovery w/ ADB and kept the stock recovery installed? If true, supersu should be the only detectable entity on your device, from what I understand.

7. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Where did you buy the official Samsung MHL adapter? Tbe device is booting and fully operational. The display is just out.

8. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

registered the device on samsung.com they send a 50% off coupon on any acc under 50$, then bought mhl 2.0 adapter and spare battery kit

I was afraid to order it from anywhere else

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

But HDMI isn't wireless display. It's a wired connection - wireless is for Miracast. :confused::eek:

10. macred macrumors regular

I did the same thing, what surprised me was how fast the service was. I almost didn't bother to register, now I'm happy I did.

11. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

you can probably unroot over usb too - ADB or something else XDA suggests but that is beyond me

12. DunnElden macrumors newbie

While the 1.9GHz quad-core processor is no longer one of the fastest on the market it still gives the Galaxy S4 plenty of pep.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And that helps the OP how ? :confused:

14. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

You can never have enough pep.