Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
The preorders start tomorrow. The phone will be $249.99 with a $50 mail in rebate or $649.99 unsubsidized. It's pegged to be in retail stores May 30th, Verizon didn't say if the preorders would ship earlier.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Is there any word on the 32GB models yet? It seems like VZW and BB are not offering them either, and when I asked an ATT rep she said no one really seems to know.

I'd rather get 32GB and not have to deal with cards.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Is there any word on the 32GB models yet? It seems like VZW and BB are not offering them either, and when I asked an ATT rep she said no one really seems to know.

I'd rather get 32GB and not have to deal with cards.

Seems like they're only releasing a 16GB model on Verizon. This is however just my assumption since the Verizon reps said it cost "$249.99 before rebate" instead of "starting at $249.99 before rebate".

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
This whole keynote to release phase is a total disaster. Samsung never announced a solid release date. So now each carrier is getting separate release dates, so it seems. Samsung announces three different capacities and two different processors. But the only thing available for these preorders is basically the same 16GB model across each carrier.

I'm excited to check out the phone but this is such a sloppy release. Could you imagine if Apple was like "Here's the iPhone 5S! But I don't know when you can preorder! And then when you eventually do preorder I don't know when it will ship! And it's available in 64GB but YOU CAN'T HAVE IT NOW AND I WON'T TELL YOU WHEN."

It would be mayhem.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
This whole keynote to release phase is a total disaster. Samsung never announced a solid release date. So now each carrier is getting separate release dates, so it seems. Samsung announces three different capacities and two different processors. But the only thing available for these preorders is basically the same 16GB model across each carrier.

I'm excited to check out the phone but this is such a sloppy release. Could you imagine if Apple was like "Here's the iPhone 5S! But I don't know when you can preorder! And then when you eventually do preorder I don't know when it will ship! And it's available in 64GB but YOU CAN'T HAVE IT NOW AND I WON'T TELL YOU WHEN."

It would be mayhem.

If Google would take charge and stop letting carriers ad bloat on Android it would help streamline the releases.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
If Google would take charge and stop letting carriers ad bloat on Android it would help streamline the releases.

If google did that I would have no problem with it. But the masses would tear them up and complain that Google has become too controlling and Apple-like. I'd be fine with it- anything to clarify details is cool with me. And I hate how the majority of Android phones can't run the latest version of Android. Insane. Android is such a great OS, but in my opinion it could benefit greatly from tighter control. There is a happy medium somewhere between the openess of Android and the tight control of Apple.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
If google did that I would have no problem with it. But the masses would tear them up and complain that Google has become too controlling and Apple-like. I'd be fine with it- anything to clarify details is cool with me. And I hate how the majority of Android phones can't run the latest version of Android. Insane. Android is such a great OS, but in my opinion it could benefit greatly from tighter control. There is a happy medium somewhere between the openess of Android and the tight control of Apple.

People wouldn't be mad. I said carrier bloat, not Android skins. After Samsung updates TouchWiz they must wait for the carrier to add their bloat. Some people don't like manufacturer skins, no one likes carrier bloat.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Verizon really screwed up by waiting another 5 weeks to release this phone. I played with the S4 at Best Buy today and would probably get one tomorrow if it were going to be out for Verizon as it will be for AT&T and Sprint. By waiting until May 30th, its going to make many people like me hold out another week until WWDC to see what iOS 7 is going to bring. If it looks as promising as it sounds, I will most likely keep my iPhone 5. If the S4 were available tomorrow, I would probably be getting one. Stupid move Verizon, always late with your phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.