Phones Galaxy S4 will be plastic

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by matttye, Mar 6, 2013.

1. matttye macrumors 601

2. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

quite strange in that cnet article they say and nokia uses a harder plastic called polycarbonate when thats what Samsung is using. you would think cnet should know their ****.

3. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

And this bit:

"At a time when competitors are using glass, aluminum, and even higher quality plastics such as polycarbonate, Samsung has stuck to its guns with a thin, bendable plastic body."

Still, I think they're pretty trustworthy and I'm sure they'll correct the mistake at some point :p

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

5. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

It doesn't strictly say that, but Samsung is defending its' decision to use plastic by saying that it has to consider price, durability, how quickly it can be produced, etc. Why would they defend it and then use metal.

I think it's a given.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I think it would be more of a shock if it was not plastic.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll start off by saying I have an iPhone 5 which is glass and aluminum. My question is why is plastic being viewed as a problem?

Wouldn't it be more durable then aluminum? I can understand if not constructed right it will feel plasticy and cheap i.e., Palm Pre but in playing with the S3 it didn't feel cheap

8. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I love the S3 design and feel, but I know a lot of people on this forum despise plastic for some reason.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Personally, I think anything would be better than the current iphone design. It is so susceptible to scratches. I know a lot of people were not a fan of the glass b.c if you dropped it is shattered, but when I had the iphone 5 I had to baby it more than any phone I have owned. When I would put it in my cup holder when driving I had to be ultra gentle so I would not nick the sides. I always use my phone naked and the i5 has the worst design for that use IMO.

10. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Everyone here despises plastic but many of us once owned iPhone 3G/S's. I guess it's different when Apple uses plastic. Regardless, I can't wait for the GS4! :D

11. b24pgg macrumors 65816

When you have a case on the phone, no one can tell what the body is made from.

12. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

That's highly dependent on the type of case, but I see what you're saying.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed and with a case on the phone the issue of scratches is moot. Personally as I mentioned as long as the quality is high, I don't care if its aluminum or plastic.

Given iPhone 5's scuffgate I'd rather have something a bit more durable anyways.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I agree. It is much easier to use a phone naked when you do not have to worry about it nicking on anything you place it on.

15. Ryan John macrumors regular

That reason's simple to work out, it's an Apple forum and as the iPhone is aluminium it's an attempt to put down Samsung as cheap. Of course everybody with an S2/S3 etc knows they don't feel cheap at all, but an Apple forum will always look to get one up on Samsung, just as a Samsung forum would do a similar thing with a feature such as maps.

No mystery really.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

My favorite design has been the all glass 4/4s/nexus 4. Just don't drop your phone and you have no issues.

17. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I've never had a problem with the Galaxy S3 being plastic. With the rounded back I think it feels better when you hold it than the square design of the 4, 4s, and 5. I would like to see Apple go back to a design similar to the 3g and 3gs. I thought those were more comfortable to hold.

18. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

I am very impressed with the durability of the plastic used on the SGS3. I have owned it for 9 months now. Compared to my HTC Desire Z made of metal and some rubbery substance and Nokia N97 made of plastic and some metal, the SGS3 has aged so much better in 9 months than the other two phones that I have used. There is very little sign of aging on my SGS3 save for the corners of the back. You have to look closely to see a slight bit of wear.

I do not use a case on any of these phones. I carry them in a holster when out and about. When at home, I place them on a table nearby.

19. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I can't name too many phones that aren't made with plastic. Plastic gets a bad reputation, but there are numerous ways to make plastic strong, scratch resistant, etc. The Lumia 920 is plastic, I've been using it without a case, it still looks brand new.

I'm sure Samsung has something good in mind. The plastic on the S3 really isn't bad in the first place.