Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Rumours say:

- IPhone 6 frame like.
- No removable battery (like Alpha).
- 3GB RAM.
- 20Mpx OIS.
- Removable back covers with new styles.
- 5.1 screen.
- No Snapdragon 810.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
A large screen isn't a patentable design decision. Please play again.

Looking at that picture, if it's legit, they even went as far as copying the little antenna gaps except vertical... and the speaker grills and oh my...

LOL, who the hec pays attention to antenna gaps on the inside of a phone case? And why should we care about that? Vertical, horizontal....Really?

Personally i hate alluminum back covers so if i get one, ill immediately have to get a case or it will be all dented up in no time from dropping it. I hope the back cover comes off so i can change them like i have on my other Samsungs phones. Not sure i get what your upset about. Apple still has the huge bezel and a lot of wasted space on their phones while the others dont. I guess that will be Apples NEXT copy but you know....who cares? Buy what you like and quit sniveling about what others look like.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Rumours say:

- IPhone 6 frame like.
- No removable battery (like Alpha).
- 3GB RAM.
- 20Mpx OIS.
- Removable back covers with new styles.
- 5.1 screen.
- No Snapdragon 810.

Bleh, why removable back cover if the battery isn't removable. I'd much prefer an all aluminum back, one piece frame like the iPhone. Why have such a nice frame, but stick an ugly plastic backing onto it?

----------

I like the chassis. So the Spigen case leaked pretty much is it. You can see the rounded sides through the transparent case.

They will never be fully premium IMO with ugly back plastic covers. Worse yet they continue that ugly moire pattern on the front bezel, calling attention to the bezel instead of making it stealth like the iphones. And we can't forget the big honking Samsung logo. Shall we go for broke? Let me guess, it has Samsung's cheesy trademark silver edges/trim.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Bleh, why removable back cover if the battery isn't removable. I'd much prefer an all aluminum back, one piece frame like the iPhone. Why have such a nice frame, but stick an ugly plastic backing onto it?

----------

They will never be fully premium IMO with ugly back plastic covers. Worse yet they continue that ugly moire pattern on the front bezel, calling attention to the bezel instead of making it stealth like the iphones. And we can't forget the big honking Samsung logo. Shall we go for broke? Let me guess, it has Samsung's cheesy trademark silver edges/trim.
I prefer the plastic back covers. Dont like aluminum.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest

Reminds me of the BlackBerry Z30. Removable back, non removable battery. Just SIM card and SD card access. My M8 had a non removable back, and it had an SD card slot. It can be done. Haha.

BlackBerry_Z30_Review_Back_Cover.jpg

I really wish they'd get rid of the dots all over the bezel though. But I don't worry to much because the last and only Samsung I had was the GS III. It was okay, but not great. Moved to a 4s/5c then M8/Moto X after that.

But the bottom looks like the most blatant copy. Or, "inspired design".

Y6TfloE.png

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Samsung popularised large screened devices. When the original note came out none of the main stream companies would have dared to take such a risk. They deserve some credit for bringing phablets to the mainstream.

The iphone 6/6 + design was inspired by the ipod touch 5th gen from 2012. It is a unibody design but I'd say that it's different from the HTC One.

The credit for larger screens belongs to HTC, not Samsung.

HTC Evo was the first device to open the door the Large screens and was the most popular android phone in the USA for 2 years.

Then there was the HTC titan and titan 2.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

HTC Evo was the first device to open the door the Large screens and was the most popular android phone in the USA for 2 years.

That was the first large screen phone i bought. The HTC EVO on Sprint.
It was large and heavy and the battery life was about 5 hours! :)

----------

Things are starting to look interesting....
The image from the invites
150203141231-samsung-galaxy-s6-780x439.jpg

images

images

"The Galaxy S6 will make its debut in two versions ― flat and rounded screens," said an executive at a local parts supplier, Tuesday. "It will have a metal build, which will make it look even more like Apple's latest models."

Galaxy S6 will use glass on the front and back, making it more appealing, he said.

Samsung dropped its earlier plan to adopt a dual-edge design on the new phone due to concerns over defect rates of curved glasses.

It is expected to have a 5.1-inch OLED display and have rounded corners.

Samsung will use its own Exynos chip in the new handset, sources said. Qualcomm will also supply its Snapdragon 810 processors soon after the release of the Samsung phone as the San Diego-headquartered outfit recently addressed overheating issues of the chipset.

One major change is the use of new-generation lithium-polymer battery in the S6, which is smaller and runs cooler.

"Batteries will be embedded in S6 as Samsung is putting more focus on strengthening the safety of batteries by replacing the flammable liquid electrolytes of conventional lithium-ion cells with improved polymer electrolyte cells, which are non-flammable and non-volatile," another source who is familiar with the issue said.

Galaxy S6 features include a mobile payment system called Samsung Pay, just like Apply Pay system.

Samsung Electronics Vice Chairman Lee Jae-yong will reportedly visit the fair to promote the phone.

The company declined to comment on the features of the new phone and the vice chairman's visit to the show next month.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2015/02/133_172942.html

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
i want to get a S6 in the future but I'm so used to apple. Darn my attachment to apple :D

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

The original note and the titan both came out in 2011. The EVO was announced at the begining of 2011 as was the S2. They both had 4.3 inch phones. The original note was a monster, such a large screen had not been seen on a phone, except for the dell streak which came in 2010.

However Samsung were the ones to take the bull by the horns and bring it to the masses.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The original note and the titan both came out in 2011. The EVO was announced at the begining of 2011 as was the S2. They both had 4.3 inch phones. The original note was a monster, such a large screen had not been seen on a phone, except for the dell streak which came in 2010.

However Samsung were the ones to take the bull by the horns and bring it to the masses.

The first Galaxy phone came out in the summer of 2010. Granted it was only 4" but it started there and phones out after that were bigger. The Nexus S came out late 2010 with a 4" screen and soon after those you mention came out like the GS2. It doesnt matter who stated it all. Just glad it did since the 3.5" was too small but now i think they are getting too big and why i like the GS6 coming out at 5.1".

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The EVO was announced at the begining of 2011 as was the S2. They both had 4.3 inch phones.

Not accurate.

The Evo was released on June 4, 2010.

The S2 dropped on May 2011. Pretty much a year later.

I remember well because my Wife had the Evo in white long before I had my Sprint S2 which actually dropped with a 4.5" screen the fall of 2011.

The Evo ushered in the superphone era, not the Samsung Galaxy S or Nexus S.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Not accurate.

The Evo was released on June 4, 2010.

The S2 dropped on May 2011. Pretty much a year later.

I remember well because my Wife had the Evo in white long before I had my Sprint S2 which actually dropped with a 4.5" screen the fall of 2011.

The Evo ushered in the superphone era, not the Samsung Galaxy S or Nexus S.

Yeah I saw that after I'd posted. I was looking at the Evo 3D:eek:

Still think Sammy deserve some credit.:D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Throughout Asian & Indian continent and in some European countries toilets are like this. You basically squat and poop, apparently the squatting position actually provides a better exit than our western modern sit down toilets which are of a Victorian invention (well the flush variety anyway). By squatting you are putting far less stress on the bowel, and hence less chance of Piles and other anus related issues ... ;)

That's why they make this :)

http://squattypotty.com/

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wonder if the edged one will have a plastic frame like the Note Edge does. That was one of the reasons I didn't get it, preferring the metal frame of the Note 4.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I believe samsung is the only vendor with sd card and removable battery.maybe only removable battery vedor period?

I would be sad if there was no one left.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
One can say Samsung is also just following industry and market demand by going unibody and using more premium parts.

If apple can be excused for following the trends of larger screens so should it be the other way around.

It's funny that people praise apple for being an industry leader but get upset when they actually lead the industry. To lead is to pave the way for others. Apple leads and influences the industry in a big way. Why is it at all surprising when others follow? I think people just want to argue.

As for the s6, I'm excited. I'm excited by all the recent leaks and rumors for both the s6 and the m9. Bring it on!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I would argue that removable battery versus metal unibody is more of a trade off than an outright upgrade

Just to be clear Samsung uses premium parts, it's just the chassis were talking about here :p

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
One can say Samsung is also just following industry and market demand by going unibody and using more premium parts.

If apple can be excused for following the trends of larger screens so should it be the other way around.

It's funny that people praise apple for being an industry leader but get upset when they actually lead the industry. To lead is to pave the way for others. Apple leads and influences the industry in a big way. Why is it at all surprising when others follow? I think people just want to argue.

As for the s6, I'm excited. I'm excited by all the recent leaks and rumors for both the s6 and the m9. Bring it on!

I see your train of thought....but Apple wasn't the first to do unibody phones. They existed before 2007 when Apple got into the mobile phone space.
In your same train of thought...if Apple puts 2 or 3GB of ram in the IP6s...are they following everyone else?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I would argue that removable battery versus metal unibody is more of a trade off than an outright upgrade

I guess they saw how many iPhone 6 & 6+ sold in comparison to the GS5 and decided customers clearly want metal unibody over removable batteries & waterproofing.

And I think personally they are right. Given that this is Samsung and I have no doubt by April we will be hearing of the GS6 Active with a more robust case & waterproofing and a GS6 mini and a GS6 Zoom - I think concentrating / focusing the main device on great design and build quality is a good thing. HTC M9 looks like it may be a stunner, and as one of the last bastions of removable battery - surely it must see that it's not a big selling point as that once were - and neither is waterproofing.

Otherwise the GS5 would have sold better if those things are what make people buy phones.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I guess they saw how many iPhone 6 & 6+ sold in comparison to the GS5 and decided customers clearly want metal unibody over removable batteries & waterproofing.

And I think personally they are right. Given that this is Samsung and I have no doubt by April we will be hearing of the GS6 Active with a more robust case & waterproofing and a GS6 mini and a GS6 Zoom - I think concentrating / focusing the main device on great design and build quality is a good thing. HTC M9 looks like it may be a stunner, and as one of the last bastions of removable battery - surely it must see that it's not a big selling point as that once were - and neither is waterproofing.

Otherwise the GS5 would have sold better if those things are what make people buy phones.

Definitely agree with this. Aesthetically the plastic backing is a trade off IMO, and there is nothing wrong with valuing aesthetics. The days of the removable battery aren't relevant anymore with how much battery life these phones get and also how fast they charge up.

Now if the S6 ends up with a plastic backing AND doesn't have a removable battery then Samsung will be making a blunder IMO. But I'm used to it, for every great decision Samsung makes there are a dozen dumb decisions.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

Youre probably right, but if the gs6 wants to be the m9, people may just buy the m9 :)

I just hate that the battery is the first thing to deteriorate, these phones are getting to the point where they can last many years, far beyond the batteries useful life. Don't get me started on nonremovable batteries in laptops, I just keep them too long for that.

The market doesn't care I get it I'm just a cranky old man

Now if the S6 ends up with a plastic backing AND doesn't have a removable battery then Samsung will be making a blunder IMO. But I'm used to it, for every great decision Samsung makes there are a dozen dumb decisions.

that would be a damn shame, lose lose scenario

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Who cares if they copy? I never understood this. It's like people have a vested interest in these technology companies. The iPhone is a beautiful design and I'd love to have it on an Android phone.

I think it's pretty fine and encouraged to come up with something different and new.

We already have the iPhone. Would it kill Samsung to make something completely new and different? I think their back-and-forth with regards to their own design language ultimately hurts them.

Nothing is iconic "Samsung" - its an amalgamation of a bunch of different designs which ultimately don't come together in an unique way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.