Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
So much for the Android hardcore's oft parroted "iOS doesn't do true multitasking" ...whatever... it can switch apps waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster.

It's faking it by pretty much taking a screenshot before being suspended/killed in the background then restoring the screenshot upon app relaunch so it's not true multitasking. For professionals that use apps like SSH, RDP, VNC, etc. they can't actively run in the background so iOS is more like an iPod than a PC replacement contrary to Timothy Cook's outlandish claims.

https://developer.apple.com/library...GforiPhoneOS/PreservingandRestoringState.html

Preserving and Restoring State

View controllers play an important role in the state preservation and restoration process. State preservation records the configuration of your app before it is suspended so that the configuration can be restored on a subsequent app launch.

Reactions: Demo Kit

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's faking it by pretty much taking a screenshot before being suspended/killed in the background then restoring the screenshot upon app relaunch so it's not true multitasking. For professionals that use apps like SSH, RDP, VNC, etc. they can't actively run in the background so iOS is more like an iPod than a PC replacement contrary to Timothy Cook's outlandish claims.

https://developer.apple.com/library...GforiPhoneOS/PreservingandRestoringState.html
So the siriusxm app fakes it and is not true multi-tasking.

I'll take the battery saving architecture over of iOS over the battery hogging architecture of android anyday. Never had an issue with Rdp or ssh.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I am afraid I got some bad news.

40 seconds lol.

Good thing that opening and switching between apps is not something you apparently do a lot on your phone. :rolleyes:

Omled screen made me laugh tho, thanks for that. :D

Yeah it's not something I do lots on my phone, don't know why you have a rolly eyes emoji.
Let's see IOS open and close Mobdro and Kodi and keep them running in the background. :D
I use my browser, my banking and pay apps, my camera, my calculator, and Mobdro and Kodi the most.
I play the odd game but I don't open and close apps over and over again.
For me, that is a non life like scenario but IOS does that scenario better than Samsung's Android, no arguments there.

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
That's not what "true" multitasking is.

True multi-taskin is the capability of actively running multiple active programs in memory at the same time. Switching between applications is not indication of true multi-tasking, but of quick routines to allow for quick switching of Applications, something Apple is great at doing.

don't confuse the two. makes you seem like you don't know what you're talking about

I'm sure you know better than me, most people online always know better than others... so they say. ;)
[doublepost=1493681513][/doublepost]

I simply stated that switching between apps and having them resume, on iOS, seems faster. I use ssh/vnc/rdp on a daily, often hourly basis on iOS and Android, and you're right - Android keeps the session open with "Connectbot" when backgrounded, whereas iOS disconnects... meh, I don't care, that's what "screen" is for ;)

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
So the siriusxm app fakes it and is not true multi-tasking.

I'll take the battery saving architecture over of iOS over the battery hogging architecture of android anyday. Never had an issue with Rdp or ssh.

No issue if you continue to stay on that app and don't any other things. Same with IP cam, I want to keep app running and notify me of any motion detection while still allowing me to do other things with phone. Iphone can't do. Yeah, Iphone has good battery life but at the expense of wasting your precious time.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No issue if you continue to stay on that app and don't any other things. Same with IP cam, I want to keep app running and notify me of any motion detection while still allowing me to do other things with phone. Iphone can't do. Yeah, Iphone has good battery life but at the expense of wasting your precious time.
It doesn't waste MY time, because it's easy to get things done. My house monitoring apps use notifications and thus don't need to suck the battery life out if your phone.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
So much for the Android hardcore's oft parroted "iOS doesn't do true multitasking" ...whatever... it can switch apps waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster.

Yeah exactly, round 2 is embarrassing for android.
[doublepost=1493885672][/doublepost]

Wasting precious time? Watch the videos above. 40 seconds is what I call wasting time.
[doublepost=1493886028][/doublepost]
Yeah it's not something I do lots on my phone, don't know why you have a rolly eyes emoji.
Let's see IOS open and close Mobdro and Kodi and keep them running in the background. :D
I use my browser, my banking and pay apps, my camera, my calculator, and Mobdro and Kodi the most.
I play the odd game but I don't open and close apps over and over again.
For me, that is a non life like scenario but IOS does that scenario better than Samsung's Android, no arguments there.

watch out with kodi, don't want to go to jail.

All I am saying is that opening/switching between apps is kind of the most important bit on phone and what we do the most.

Android sucks at it, pretending to be great while iOS is actually great at it.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yeah exactly, round 2 is embarrassing for android.
[doublepost=1493885672][/doublepost]

Wasting precious time? Watch the videos above. 40 seconds is what I call wasting time.
[doublepost=1493886028][/doublepost]

watch out with kodi, don't want to go to jail.

All I am saying is that opening/switching between apps is kind of the most important bit on phone and what we do the most.

Android sucks at it, pretending to be great while iOS is actually great at it.

Jail? I got it from the play store.
Mobdro is more likely to get me in trouble but jail is a stretch.

If android sucks at opening and closing apps, then I guess I just just haven't noticed it, I seem to get by with no issue at all.

The most important part of a smartphphone to me is battery life, charging speed, camera (focus and access speed and picture quality) and ease of browsing using a desktop agent. And wireless charging, I'll never buy a flagship that doesn't have wireless charging.
I can't say a few seconds here and there while opening apps would bother me too much, sure, instant would be better but it's not a deal breaker, my other preferences are

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Jail? I got it from the play store.
Mobdro is more likely to get me in trouble but jail is a stretch.

If android sucks at opening and closing apps, then I guess I just just haven't noticed it, I seem to get by with no issue at all.

The most important part of a smartphphone to me is battery life, charging speed, camera (focus and access speed and picture quality) and ease of browsing using a desktop agent. And wireless charging, I'll never buy a flagship that doesn't have wireless charging.
I can't say a few seconds here and there while opening apps would bother me too much, sure, instant would be better but it's not a deal breaker, my other preferences are

Kodi itself is legal but are having massive troubles recently with illegal content.

Everyone has their preferences in regards to phones.

I for one would never buy a 800-1000 dollar flagship device that had a maximum of 2 year support by the manufacturer with software updates controlled by the crappy carriers. I can't go back to the stone ages.

I would also not buy a flagship device that takes much longer to do the things I do almost daily on my phone, which is opening and switching between apps.

I do like wireless charging tho hoping Apple ads that to the iPhone 8.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Kodi itself is legal but are having massive troubles recently with illegal content.

Everyone has their preferences in regards to phones.

I for one would never buy a 800-1000 dollar flagship device that had a maximum of 2 year support by the manufacturer with software updates controlled by the crappy carriers. I can't go back to the stone ages.

I would also not buy a flagship device that takes much longer to do the things I do almost daily on my phone, which is opening and switching between apps.

I do like wireless charging tho hoping Apple ads that to the iPhone 8.

Fair enough, I buy an new unlocked phone every year so updates don't bother me much.

I'll probably be getting the Note 8 this year, the iPhone will still probably open and close apps faster but it doesn't bother me as I don't see that as normal use for me.
I dont see myself with an iPhone any time soon, not unless they achieve something truly magical.

The cameras will improve on all devices, the screens will improve on all devices, hopefully the batteries improve on all devices.
So much to look forward too, so much choice these days...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.