Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
Things are getting worse for Samsung, according to Forbes Samsung may cancel the s8 if they can't find out what is causing the note 7 to explode.

Galaxy S8 Production May Be 'Aborted' If Samsung Can't Figure Out Cause Of Note 7 Fires

"Samsung employees are hard at work now to determine the exact cause of the Note 7 fires, and if they can’t, the report states that staffers “fear the release of the Galaxy S8 smartphone scheduled for early 2017 may have to be aborted.”'

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/...igure-out-cause-of-note-7-fires/#52e9d1d7d47b

Reactions: GalaDaliGirl

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What a shame, the death of the best phone of 2016 followed by not releasing the S8. I guess the S8 was based on the Note 7 enough for the battery issue to be a possibility on it. Better safe than sorry. Samsung just divert all your mobile energy into foldable screens/phones!!!!!!

Reactions: mrex

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I agree with spinedoc, Note 7 is the best phone of a year, such a shame what happened and if it does affect the S8

I see this sentiment expressed over and over online but I have to disagree. How can a phone with such a catastrophic flaw be considered 'best phone of the year'? Yes, I understand that the follow up statement to that is, 'Well, when working, it offered the best combination of design, functionality, and performance' but that statement itself specifically speaks to the conundrum. Something in that very design is what caused it to be the failure that it's become. So, no, it cannot be the best designed phone of the year if that design itself isn't actually functional.

I know I said it somewhere else previously in jest but this very well could have been a situation where too little bezel is actually a bad thing. I personally think in their race to make a device with that big of a display in such a small package, they tried to fit too much and it lead to this result (yes, this is purely blind speculation by me).

While I'm not a fan of Samsung's mobile devices, I seriously hope they can get their stuff together in this regard because the industry needs Samsung to keep push limits, forcing the competition to up their game (<cough> Apple <cough>). I hope they have enough sense to not force out the S8 prematurely because while I think they can certainly bounce back from this Note 7 debacle, if the same thing happened again, their mobile division would be done for.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
What a shame, the death of the best phone of 2016 followed by not releasing the S8. I guess the S8 was based on the Note 7 enough for the battery issue to be a possibility on it. Better safe than sorry. Samsung just divert all your mobile energy into foldable screens/phones!!!!!!
It was the best...now my LG v20 is a close second and has smoother performance...

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Not all that surprising. They need to guarantee it's safe after all.

After the farce of a failed recall and how similar the S line and Note line are, there has to be concern over the S8 given the short time between releases. Most of the specs, design, components, etc would be firming up now.

They might be able to recover from the Note 7 but if the headline Galaxy S series doesn't work out, they will lose a lot of customer goodwill along with sales, market share, etc.

Time for Google to distribute and promote the hell out of the Pixel. Do what Samsung do and go crazy on the offers, swallow the margin on the first models and get traction.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
How unoriginal is this comment and offers nothing to the thread.

Back on topic: As formentioned, perhaps Samsung should offer removable batteries.
100% truth, though.

I'm glad that Samsung isn't taking any more risks with its customer's safety until they figure out why their batteries are exploding. Sending phones back to customers as replacements without changing a single hardware component just speaks volumes for how much they've cared so far.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
what a nightmare. The rep of samsung could be done if this happens.

Can't just making battery removeable again help with this? do like LG V20 where you can put the spare in with some a metal back.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada

Can't just making battery removeable again help with this? do like LG V20 where you can put the spare in with some a metal back.
I feel like the recall wouldn't have helped them in this very specific case. It turned out not to be the batteries specifically, but something inherent in the phone's design or circuitry (they don't even know what it is yet, but it's definitely not the batteries themselves).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I feel like the recall wouldn't have helped them in this very specific. It turned out not to be the batteries specifically, but something inherent in the phone's design or circuitry (they don't even know what it is yet, but it's definitely not the batteries themselves).
Just hope they fiqure it out soon. The fact they still don't know makes me wonder why give out new note 7's after the first recall?

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016
Just hope they fiqure it out soon. The fact they still don't know makes me wonder why give out new note 7's after the first recall?
Maybe they honestly thought is the batteries, but still without any real proof they should have just waited.

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London

I don't think that will help any, and the severity of the note 7 exploding is now beginning to affect the production of the s8.

They can't just add a removable battery, they would have to redesign the entire phone.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Maybe they honestly thought is the batteries, but still without any real proof they should have just waited.

Hindsight is 20/20. The iPhone 7 had been announced and maybe there was pressure to solve the issue ASAP and get the phone back on the market to avoid further loss in sales.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think this is all hearsay as it can take a while to investigate issues like what the Note 7 had, but it has been the only phone to have an issue like this. Also you cannot ruke out the battery as being at fault yet either.

You can't really go by the 'what might happen' media reports when they are talking about things a few months away with no real source.
And Samsung I don't think have announced a launch date yet have they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.