Galaxy SIII continuous voice to text as you speak

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by dmelgar, Jan 11, 2013.

1. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I had a Galaxy S3 for a few days. My favorite feature was in some app, I think it was S-Note, S-Memo something like that. It allowed you to do voice to text. But instead of the typical Google or iOS translation, this one displays words as you say them, without waiting for a pause or waiting for you to say you're finished. This is great because you can see if it messes up and backup and redo it. With the ones where you can't see what you've said until you stop, its often too late and you may not even remember what you were trying to say.

Is there an equivalent app available for general Android, or iOS or Mac that allows you to speak continuously and see what you're saying as you say it?

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

That's how voice to text works on Android in general, so that should be on any Android device.

I love it, too, and have posted about it many times before myself. :)

It's more accurate and a much better method at dictation than iOS, in which you have to wait until you finish your sentence to see the result (not to mention, you have to press the Mic button again when you're done). Any sentences or messages that got too long, iOS would start making serious mistakes where it sometimes misses entire words.

Not sure if something similar to Android is on OSX...

3. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

Thats not how Android works on my Thunderbolt. Its never received the promised ICS update. When did Android start working this way?

In the Android I've used, it behaves like iOS, it waits for a pause then translates everything you've said. Did this behavior change in ICS or later? There's a Google app for iOS that behaves this way, but only for search. I want to use it for dictation.

4. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I have no idea when it changed but it does not pause and wait till I am done speaking on my Nexus 4. It works like the Google Search app on iOS, only everywhere. It recognizes as I speak.

I dislike how iOS waits during voice-to-text till I am done speaking and tap the done button. Then it is off to the black hole of the cloud while I wait and pray it doesn't do the little three-dot-jiggle meaning it didn't come back with anything.

I can even carry on a text conversation on my Nexus 4, using voice, without voice recognition ever stopping between messages.

Michael

5. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

I would love that. By itself its a killer feature. Wish my Thunderbolt would do it. Maybe iOS will get it eventually. Meanwhile on the Mac, all I know of is Nuance which charges big bucks for their full featured voice recognition. I wonder when Mac OS X will get its voice recognition updated.

6. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

The problem with iOS voice recognition is that it is performed 100% in the cloud. There appears to be no way to send the recorded speech to the cloud while you are still talking. Ironically the work of doing the actual translation is done by Nuance (which is why the Nuance apps on iOS work similar, if not the same as, the built-in voice recognition).

Michael