Galaxy tab isn't a copy of iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mm1250, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mm1250 macrumors 6502

Im a apple fan and I own a iPad 2 and also owned the iPad 1. I like everyone else kept reading the articles about the Samsung / apple lawsuit.

I finally got a 1st hand glimps of the galaxy tab 10.1 and I must say I'm pretty disappointed in apple's behavior and now see the real reason as apples lawsuit as pure fear of Samsung.

If one looked at the galaxy and iPad one can easily tell the difference. I find it ignorant of apple to suggest that just because the galaxy has similar size screen and curve edges that it is a clone. The OS does not look the same either.

In my opinion apple is clearly in the wrong and I do hope samsung prevails because this is clearly apple trying to remove viable competing products from the market that pose a threat. Get real!

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Patents are a way to troll the industry. It can only reward monopolistic anti-competitive behavior. Just look at the iOS5 notification screen. :D

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

The look and feel of the Tab is what is in question and everything about the Tab screams copycat from the slimness, to the 30 pin dock connector, to the power station, to the packaging and to the complete lack of other ports. No other tablet maker has gone to the lengths that Samesung has in replcating the ipad. It's probably why the Samesung lawyers couldn't tell the difference either. And it's probably why Apple has been winning so many lawsuits against Samesung and having their tablet banned from sale.

The OS is obviously different, but that hasn't been in question.

As far as the Galaxy Tab posing a threat? Apparently, you haven't seen the sales figures.

4. fteoath64 macrumors regular

fteoath64

It is about legality. Not just simple copying.

I will wait and see when Apple goes after Barns & Noble for their Nook Tablet and Amazon Fire when these devices ship by the millions very soon. These are the devices which are true competitors in the tablet segment.

In fact, the ASUS Transformer Prime will be a strong target as it launches tomorrow!. This is a very sought after device for the high-end tablet and Apple certainly has a high-end iPad2 device.

Now I just wonder if some Android licensee who has signed up to MicroSoft would seek the help of MS as a defense measure. Would be good to see another "Battle of the Titans" in the courts rather than a "Goliath bullying little Davids" all over the place.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

If you own IP you MUST protect it, or you lose it.

Apple is simply doing what any other company would do, protecting their investments into IP

You don't remember them recently going after a cafe trying to trademark an apple in their logo? Clearly not competition, simply protecting trade dress so they don't lose it.

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

8. abta1 macrumors 6502

To the average consumer, one of the first things you are drawn to when looking at a product or comparing products is the appearance which is undoubtedly one reason why Apple are persuing Samsung over this. Look at all the copycat "fake" iPhones/ipods/ipads out there which try to leech sales from the real thing, it's because consumers fall for it. This is why Apple need to protect themselves whether they are selling 1 or selling a million.

9. bocomo macrumors 6502

transformer prime is a "very sought after device" but hasn't launched yet?

who are the "little Davids?" certainly not samsung

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Had Apple never created the iPad would there even be a Galaxy tab? If Samsung had created it without the iPad to copy would it look/feel/work/price/measure just the way it does?

Also had Apple not created iOS would there be an Android platform and if so would it have multi touch, installable Apps and .....?

Kudos to Microsoft for coming up with an original idea (for a change) with Windows Phone 7 and not just copying iOS.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I don't know what all the fuss is about. The Galaxy Tab is stuck in Android OS update hell 2.x and will likely never see an official update.

Oh yea, it's also pretty much a blatant rip off of the iPad, but what modern tablet isn't.

12. MallCop macrumors 6502

I have the 10.1 and I can see where it might look like and iPad but it feels nothing like one. The screen has vibration feedback and the back is plastic. The iPad feels much more solid overall.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's not about a feature-for-feature forensic breakdown of the device, it's about getting it in your hands in the first place. Apple has expended enormous sums in developing and marketing the iPad, for a competitor to walk in and capitalize on their similarities leads consumers to believe it's comparable or "just as good" as the iPad.

14. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Samsung's lawyer couldn't even tell the difference between the Galaxy Tab & iPad 2 in court :rolleyes:

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

and we all know how tech savvy lawyers are! not to mention judges.

the lawsuits aren't about whatyou and i consider to be a copy. it's about what patent law considers to be an infringement of intellectual property, and even patent law attorneys/experts find this to bea hopeless morass of competing claims.

whatever the merits of apple's case, the impressive thing is that they are employing the legal system to shut down the sale of a competitor's product. i would guess that something on this scale is unprecedented.

personally, i've used both and feel like they considerably different. but, like i said, it isn't about what "regular" people think. itisaboutpatents.

16. urkel macrumors 68030

People are so quick to lean on this excuse for Apples behavior but where exactly are the examples of a patent being lost due to competitors following a TREND. Samsung deserves to be shredded and embarrassed by the media for where they're copying Apples packaging and accessories but they shouldn't be forced to quit by the legal system because this stuff has been going on for years.

Every major player owns huge defining patents but very very few try to enforce it the way Apple does. I don't necessarily blame Apple for being so litigious because if anyone is truly at fault it's the Patent Offices for allowing patents on obvious/pre-existing concepts and the courts for not dismissing these cases.

17. urkel macrumors 68030

People's defense of Apple has more to do with their love of the company rather the history of patent enforcement or the effect on the industry.

I think that as CONSUMERS we should take a step back and look at what any other industry would be like if Apple was awarded patents in it and the courts honored them. Should a Microscope really have a unique design based on every manufacturer or did science simply make what they saw standard and focus more on "what you do with it"?

Toasters, Planes, Chairs, Clothing, Televisions, Tires, Remote Controls etc ALL look the same regardless of brand because someone started a design and everyone else used that basic design and moved forward. But because it's Apple then people act as if Samsung or HTC are now thieves while completely ignoring that tablets have existed in science fiction and reality for years before Apple. Just because Apple makes the best one is no reason to say that they own the concept.

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You seem to leave out the fact that Apple is the most sued company in the world. In the majority of the cases, it has been Apple that was sued first.

As far as you giving Samsung a pass, because copying has been going on for a while is utter crap. Did you cheat your way through school, because you know cheating has been going on forever?

Samsung was due to release the Galaxy Tab 10.1 when Apple released the iPad 2. After seeing the iPad 2, Samsung executives publicly stated that they had to go back to the drawing board to come up with a thinner and better tablet.

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't agree with all of urkel's points, but the one about the patent office is important. The flurry of patent disputes is a relatively recent phenomenon, and once you get past the rhetoric of unoriginality, parasites, and so forth (google lobbed a rhetorical bomb at microsoft today) you find an antiquated, byzantine, and almost unworkable system of patents in place.

whatever side you are on in the samsung v. apple case, i challenge you to read the actual patents and documents involved. i think it will be eye-opening, and as i said, a kind of debate that has totally different rules than we are used to. it 's about a lot more than what meets the eye on a store shelf.

for a really well-done report on the state of patents in general (accessible to regular people), check out this american life, "when patents attack!"
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I'm waiting to see the new school bully take on Microsoft and tell them they can't sell Windows 8 tablets next year. :D

21. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Apple and microsoft have a long standing agreement not to sue each other over patents. Samsung started the suing in this case and apple has been protecting themselves in response to it. Apple has just been more successful in it. If Samsung won this, the op would be saying the same about the iPad not being a copy.

22. knoxtown macrumors 6502

'Copy' implies equal, so you're right, it isn't a copy.

It's a pathetic attempt to copy.

23. bmx2500 macrumors newbie

I guess a square shape screams copycat...but..it's a shape.....

24. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, I'm not going to comment on the merits of the lawsuits. I can only say I own both an iPad 2 and a a Galaxy Tab 8.9.

Galaxy Tab > iPad 2. Hardware-wise. The Tab is thinner, lighter, and the screen has a higher resolution. The difference is not DRASTIC, but Samsung has definitely caught up in the hardware department.

Software is a whole other conversation...

25. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

Really? I prefer Android over iOS, but felt that the build quality of the iPad 2 was better than the Galaxy Tab 10.1, hence why I went for the iPad.