Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Well I did some research and the simple answer is no. It's a no for many reasons: small screen, price, contract, cartoon ui, it doesn't seem special or unique just another android tablet (don't they all just seem alike), last but not lease it just doesn't seem like something that cannot be taken seriously. In my opinion (since I'm a 14 year old child it isn't too accurate) most adults rather not have a cartoonish looking device and it doesn't seem like it has as many productive apps unlike the iPad.

:apple: posted from my iPad :apple:

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
No... there aren't enough apps + there isn't the smoothness and efficiency of that in an iPad. There is also an added phone in the Tab which I think is the stupidest idea in the world of technology... a 7-inch tablet phone.

No imagination. Per the battery and Flash...I couldn't really be any less interested in comparing numbers. Practical use is what interests me. Here's the thing; When I'm out I could use the iPad to watch an MLB or NHL game using MLB's app or Slingplayer. A 3 hour game tears through half the battery. With my tablet using a system that supports Flash, I can watch MLB, NHL, minor league games, the local team's home and away games and tons of other stuff. A 3 hour game tears through half the battery. Maybe on the iPad it's uses 46% of the battery while on the other tablet it uses 56% of the battery but I don't care. In both cases the stream played well, in both cases I was able to watch the game and in both cases the tiny little battery indicator was half full when I packed up to go home. Only ONE, however, lets me watch anything I want to watch without limitation. It doesn't matter if it's Flash, Windows Media, Quicktime, mov, mv4....whatever, it'll play it and, if not, it will after I've downloaded and installed the codec. The iPad had it's 15 minutes but at my house it's starting to collect dust. And that dust is going to get a whole lot thicker when I buy one of these new tablets that include tons of nice features like USB ports, HDMI ports, Windows 7, a full bluetooth stack, multiple carrier availability and so on. And who's problem is that going to be? No, not mine. Here's something else...there's a big, long line of people just like me who have figured out that Apple is never going to allow them to do what they want with their expensive tablet, they're tired of lame excuses and justifications that do nothing to help, they're all waiting for something that WILL let them do what they want to do and there's a ton of stuff just about to start selling that will do just that. The battery indicator? Who cares?

Last edited:

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
People will look at the price of both and then choose the iPad. They recognize it. They know how it works. They have apps that will already work on it. Etc...

The next iPad will make the gap between it and other tabs smaller or bigger depending how you look at it. So even if a few people make the mistake of letting an Android fanboy at Best Buy convince them to buy the smaller Galaxy Tab it won't hurt us for too long. The new iPad will fix those little things at the same time exceeding in others. I still believe a retina display iPad is on the way along with FaceTime, increased battery life etc...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
People will look at the price of both and then choose the iPad. They recognize it. They know how it works. They have apps that will already work on it. Etc...

The next iPad will make the gap between it and other tabs smaller or bigger depending how you look at it. So even if a few people make the mistake of letting an Android fanboy at Best Buy convince them to buy the smaller Galaxy Tab it won't hurt us for too long. The new iPad will fix those little things at the same time exceeding in others. I still believe a retina display iPad is on the way along with FaceTime, increased battery life etc...

I always like asking this question so here goes again ;)

So, you feel a Retina Display will be included on the next iPad.

That sounds great. What actual resolution do you this would be on the iPad?

Twice the current resolution in both directions or more than that?

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I always like asking this question so here goes again ;)

So, you feel a Retina Display will be included on the next iPad.

No, there won't be retina display on the new iPad. Scaling retina display to 9" screen is cost prohibitive. The low-cost technology isn't there now, or in 2011.

VespaMatt

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
Sold my iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G and am replacing it with a 13in Air and a Galaxy Tab. I woke up early the day they went on pre-order and made sure I had an iPad on day one. I used it exclusively as my home computer up until a week ago and used it extensively for the month of September when I flew around the country on a JetBlue pass.

The iPad is a GREAT netbook substitute but its too limited for actual work. Loading photos from my camera and getting them onto flickr, for example, was way more work than it should have been. I also got tired of the browser constantly crashing, whether I was using Atomic, iCab, or Safari - I think a problem caused by the iPad's limited RAM. I needed a real laptop and the Air fills my need for a long lasting battery + ultra portable.

So why do I want a Galaxy Tab? Because I love the touch interface and form factor of tablets. I thought of buying a cheaper 16GB WiFi only iPad but lets face it... at almost a 10in screen, its redundant with my new Air. The iPad is also too heavy and carrying around both negates the weights savings of each.

Really, Tab vs iPad isn't a fair comparison. Like I said, the iPad is a decent netbook replacement which I don't think the Tab can do. What the Tab looks like it excels at doing is being an in between companion. I used very few apps on my iPad because honestly, once you get into this size you can just browse the full web, so a lack of apps really doesn't concern me.

Pros of the Tab:
- Lighter, about half the weight of the iPad
- Higher DPI, so txt is crisper for eReading
- Better video support - No more converting to itunes format
- Widgets on the home screen
- I can hold it in one hand
- I can tether it to my Air to provide internet access on the go when I need it

There were times when I'd be in bed and reach for my phone rather than my iPad because I got tired of holding it up. Although Steve Jobs doesn't like the form factor, I think 7inch is great for media consumption - for videos and ereading I think its going to be killer. Its a perfect inbetween for my iPhone and Air. And while I don't generally like Android on phones, because I find it too complicated and busy, I think its a really good fit for a Tablet.

Who knows, maybe I'll eat my words, but thats my usage case for the Tab - and I think I'm more excited for it than I was the iPad. We'll see next week when I get one in my hands!

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
No, there won't be retina display on the new iPad. Scaling retina display to 9" screen is cost prohibitive. The low-cost technology isn't there now, or in 2011.

Exactly, this is why Samsung is not using its own Super AMOLED on the 7'' tab. iPad 2 won't have retina display.

abooch1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Sold my iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G and am replacing it with a 13in Air and a Galaxy Tab. I woke up early the day they went on pre-order and made sure I had an iPad on day one. I used it exclusively as my home computer up until a week ago and used it extensively for the month of September when I flew around the country on a JetBlue pass.

The iPad is a GREAT netbook substitute but its too limited for actual work. Loading photos from my camera and getting them onto flickr, for example, was way more work than it should have been. I also got tired of the browser constantly crashing, whether I was using Atomic, iCab, or Safari - I think a problem caused by the iPad's limited RAM. I needed a real laptop and the Air fills my need for a long lasting battery + ultra portable.

So why do I want a Galaxy Tab? Because I love the touch interface and form factor of tablets. I thought of buying a cheaper 16GB WiFi only iPad but lets face it... at almost a 10in screen, its redundant with my new Air. The iPad is also too heavy and carrying around both negates the weights savings of each.

Really, Tab vs iPad isn't a fair comparison. Like I said, the iPad is a decent netbook replacement which I don't think the Tab can do. What the Tab looks like it excels at doing is being an in between companion. I used very few apps on my iPad because honestly, once you get into this size you can just browse the full web, so a lack of apps really doesn't concern me.

Pros of the Tab:
- Lighter, about half the weight of the iPad
- Higher DPI, so txt is crisper for eReading
- Better video support - No more converting to itunes format
- Widgets on the home screen
- I can hold it in one hand
- I can tether it to my Air to provide internet access on the go when I need it

There were times when I'd be in bed and reach for my phone rather than my iPad because I got tired of holding it up. Although Steve Jobs doesn't like the form factor, I think 7inch is great for media consumption - for videos and ereading I think its going to be killer. Its a perfect inbetween for my iPhone and Air. And while I don't generally like Android on phones, because I find it too complicated and busy, I think its a really good fit for a Tablet.

Who knows, maybe I'll eat my words, but thats my usage case for the Tab - and I think I'm more excited for it than I was the iPad. We'll see next week when I get one in my hands!

iPad 2 should def be lighter than the first right?

VespaMatt

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
iPad 2 should def be lighter than the first right?

iFixIt breaks down the iPad as follows:
* Aluminum back 138 grams
* Battery 148 grams
* LCD 153 grams
* Glass (and frame) 193 grams
* Speaker: 17 grams
* Main board: 21 grams
* Everything else: 27 grams

So we see that the weight of the Aluminum back, battery, and LCD/Glass are (of course) the majority of the weight. I just don't seem them being able to cut out significant weight on these components. The Tab weighs in at 380 grams whereas JUST the LCD and glass for the iPad's display clocks in close to that at approx 340 grams.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I think the color nook is just a terrible idea. E-Ink was the whole reason for buying a nook or kindle. Very disappointed by it.

I love the idea of the nook color. Having owned an iPad since day one, I'd really like something smaller. I use my iPad mostly for reading and watching video. I barely type on it.

I also never liked e-ink. The way the page refreshes is really jarring and cheapens the overall look of the already "cheap" looking display. The lack of backlighting also kills its usefulness. I just never understood how people can like looking at something that looks like recycled newspaper and mostly turns completely black and back when the display needs to refresh.

More than the cost of the display is finding a GPU small enough to fit in the iPad, low power enough to not hit battery life, and still powerful enough to drive resolution 4x greater than 1024x768. You'd need current desktop GPU power in a chip that can fit in a package thats smaller than the size of a dime. That sort of technology just doesn't exist yet. Which is sad, because the quality of the display on my iPhone 4 really puts my iPad to shame.

tkingart

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2010
West Coast
I'm not here to defend Flash, however, I keep seeing references to battery drain and/or slow-down, without a fair "comparison".

For instance, you can make rich media and games with Flash, much the same way you would with iTorque or Unity. So how about let's compare battery drain and slow-down of an iOS game app built on top of 3d party engine / middle-ware, with a similar Flash game.

Since many games use 3rd party engines, some with middle-ware add-ons, let's look at Flash as a media engine capable of delivering a rich media experience like that of (Elements App), and game development, it is also used by the Gaming Industry for Front-end design for games many of you may be playing on your PC's, PS3's, XBox360's, Wii's, and even Mac's.

So a fair comparison would be, Flash and an iOS game, compare the battery drain between the two. I don't know about you, but I can't run flash on my iPad to test whether or not it "slows down" or drains the battery more-so than a game I just played, that dropped my iPad battery by 33% in less than 20 minutes.

VespaMatt

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2010
As for Flash, its nice to have the option. For those complaining about the battery life, you can disable flash or there is even an Android equivalent of 'Click to Flash' so that you can pick and choose what content gets displayed.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Screen seems too small in the samsung...

The iPad's IPS 4/3 10" screen seems perfect. The touch screen implementation great as well. Hopefully iPad 2 will have more ram.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
To put it bluntly there simply is no comparison between the two devices - they are literally worlds apart, and Samsung's Galaxy Tab is called this because its price is in another galaxy - literally. Samsung have merely tried to recreate the iPad, albeit it in a cheap and nasty plastic casing. Hell, even the packaging is an Apple knock off - white cardbaord foil printing - very similar. Even the "Phone" icon is almost identical. The Galaxy Tab does not have an IPS display for its price. I also hate android with a vengeance, as Apple's iOS is a lot better, larger App store, and its simplicity cannot be duplicated.

As for those comparing weight, well for almost AU$1000, I would choose a Aluminium / Glass computing device anytime over some overpriced piece of plastic, I want quality for my devices not simply knock-offs. The Galaxy Tab is way too expensive for what it does, and it should have on the back "Samsung Galaxy Tab - Inspired by Apple". Notice how all these devices have only come out after the iPad was released, which itself was criticised by many saying it would not be popular, too expensive, and too smaller market - look how wrong they all were - 4 Million plus sold and still going.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
I am an Android fan, and I say that no, the Tab isn't competition for the iPad unless all you're doing with it is

1. Watching movies
2. Sending emails
3. Browsing the web

Android is a good phone OS, but it is a poor computing OS. I feel the same way about the iPad. If I can't fire up photoshop (or similar), or other computing applications, then it defeats the purpose of hauling something that big around with me.

The dot pitch isn't fine enough for reading, so its not a great e-book reader either.

All the tablets out on the market are less useful than netbooks, IMO.

I have high hopes for Chrome when they put it on a tablet

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Wow. Really? There is tons of proof that Flash slows down both Android phones and Macs. Every article or review I have read about Flash on Andriod says it is often slow and kills battery. And a major review of the new MacBook Air showed a 30%+ battery life reduction with Flash. I think a like to it was posted on the main page here.

Also, if it is smaller than an iPad at the same or higher cost, how is it a "good deal" exactly?

Edit: lol. aaquib beat me to it with the link.

This is such a dumb argument. All you have to do is set Flash to "On Demand" and then Flash assets don't load unless you activate them. There, problem solved without losing the benefits of having the full internet.

climbersaurus

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2010
I refuse to browse with anything below 10". Any smaller tablet is a pain in terms of usability as you'll find yourself zooming in and out and a lot of times, seeing a dumbed down mobile version of the site.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Tried it once. Walked away and never look back.

Couldn't believe a new & shiny device was as unimpressive.

madmole

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Wel yesterday I got to play with a HP Slate and the Samsung Galaxy. All I can say is Steve J must be rolling on the floor in laughter.

Both are nasty cheap plastic, creak when handled. Slow, insensitive, dull display. Scratch very easily and more expensive in UK than the 16Gb iPad

Even sliding the screens over is slow, openng apps takes aes if there is any large data open in them

Screen is too small to be useful. Its not much bigger than my old HP iPaq. with the resolution it has, I'd say the iPhone is a better browsing amd movie experiance and thats poor compared to the iPad. I thought the contrast on both was low

Flash worked but was not smooth, The OS was the same and seemed Jittery

App store has poor selection at present(when it worked)

For the price I wuld buy an iPhone or Touch and save money to put toward an iPad

These will only sell to people who think Android is wonderful, Anti Apple brigade and folks who have never seen an iPad. If an iPad is on display alongside there would be NO competition

Steve, your best competitive strategy would be to allow anyone and his dog to sell the ipad so that there is always a iPad on display alongside

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.