Galaxy Tab vs. IPad2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by I Love Mac, Nov 22, 2011.

1. I Love Mac macrumors member

I'm not sure if anyone here has a Galaxy Tab but I would like to hear your thoughts. I'm thinking everyone on here will most likely go for the IPad but try to keep your opinions unbiased. I'm leaning more towards the Galaxy Tab because Android offers a more customizable OS and I would like to start developing apps, and I don't have the money to become an Apple developer. Thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thought are you buy the tablet that best suits your needs. Does the galaxy tab have the apps you need. What will you be using it for?

3. shandyman Suspended

I had a go with a galaxy tab for about 30 minutes at the weekend and it was just so sluggish, the transition animations were jerky. That instantly put me off.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

If customization is your thing, and you don't want to jailbreak, then why not?

Personally, Honeycomb is not something I would want to use instead of iOS. And, if I were a developer, I'd think about the statistically larger chance that I can actually make money off of an app in iOS as opposed to one in the messy marketplace (read around on the Internet for more about this).

The Galaxy Tab seems like a great piece of hardware. I think forum members would be lying if they said it wasn't. It is the OS and the software that I'd be concerned about.

5. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

I'm just starting to develop (still in high school) and am just trying to find solid ground to plant my feet on. I agree the software I've read around does seem slightly glitchy, but I'm also banking on the fact that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich will be available on the Galaxy Tab. I've read around and everything I've read said it should. Thank you very much for your look on this.

And maflynn I will mainly be using to browse the web and be a place to put my apps on. Maybe some gaming also but that is not the main reason. It would just be easy for me to carry around instead of my Macbook

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless Samsung has stated that it will be out for the Tab, I wouldn't assume one way or another. This is one of the issues with android, manufacturers spew out new revisions in fast succession and older models fall by the way side.

Sounds like the Tab, or even Kindle Fire may be a good fit for you then (but I doubt the KF will see ICS any time soon)

7. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have also been investigating the Kindle Fire as I am an avid reader, but I don't think it offers as much as I will get with the Galaxy, and I've heard rumors about ICS coming to the Tab so in high hopes I think I will get the Galaxy Tab as I am already satisfied with 3.0 and Ice Cream Sandwich would be a treat. Thank you guys very much for your help.

8. palpatine macrumors 68040

this is the reason i do not buy android tablets, and i think it probably is why android sales have not been so great. the devices themselves are often superior to the ipad in terms of specs, but there is so much uncertainty involved with the operating system and apps that it drives lazy people like myself away.

i don't want to guess if my device will be supported in the future. if you do, and if you are betting that other people will as well (these are the people buying your apps), then the tab sounds like a good fit for you.

9. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

I like an adventure and something new :) I've used ipods and iphones for years and the ipad is just a larger version. It is still a magnificent product it's just not for me. :)

10. palpatine macrumors 68040

you might want to try the hp then, because it will cost you a lot less and provide you with plenty of newness / adventure.i like adventure and new stuff too, but only if it is fun, and i'm not too thrilled about suffering with google's beta os, when i can turn on the ipad and get stuff done :)

glad to hear you know yourself, though. enjoy the android experience. if we went to an alternate universe where the ipad and ios didn't exist, but android did, i'd be pretty impressed by it! maybe ice cream sandwich will persuade me to go android too :)

11. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

Consider another perspective. With the iPad, you will be using the Xcode development environment. You can apply skills you learn from iOS coding to Mac OS X itself, where you can create applications and even distribute them via the Mac App Store. Since your interested in a "solid ground to put your feet on", Apple and Xcode offer the most complete experience from beginning to end.

In keeping tune with the other forum posters, Android is just very uncertain in regards to OS support and future updates. While it may be fun to tinker with, if your inclined for anything more serious then Apple and Xcode/App Stores are your safest bet. I'd be wary of future support beyond Android 4.0 ICS too.

I just finished High School myself :)

12. Frost17 macrumors regular

I purchased the Galaxy Tab 10.1" in June.

I do believe it is the best Android tablet on the market. However, I was very unhappy when the software update changed the look of the UI. I'm not familiar with Android versions and specifications, but the stock version was SO much better than it's current build.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the iPad. Playing with it at work everyday makes me want it more and more. I'll be definitely getting the iPad 3 next year.

Wait until 2012 if you don't NEED a tablet right now.

13. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Never owned an Android tablet but at the end it was depends on what you want to do. Maybe if you gave us more details, we could point you out to the right direction.

PS. Why does he get voted down for asking a question like this?

14. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

Hahaha all of my comments have been voted down. Wonder why. I'm still kind of on the fence I suppose ill just have to do them ultimate test borrow one from a friend and just see what I like the most

15. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I guess in some people's opinion you are not allowed question the idea of buying a product that is not created by Apple.

Anyways, I bought both iPads, sold both a few months later because I could not justify the price it cost me along with the monthly 3G connection. I now own a Playbook because I can tether my data from my Blackberry and had an amazing deal ($199)!

You can try out both tablets at any BestBuy so spend a few minutes to explore the options, you can't go wrong with any of them.

16. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat as you but I went with the Galaxy Tab 10.1. It is a really good tablet, it's fast and I have yet to have any problems. The screen is also pretty nice. It is mainly plastic, but it did take a tumble off the couch onto the tile floor and survived! I though it would break. Android isn't that bad, but all hardcore Apple fanboys are quick to judge something they've probably never used.... All in all I love my Tab and it is a good competetor to the iPad.

And it will be getting ICS.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsun...eam-Sandwich-for-Galaxy-Tab-10-1.64675.0.html

17. I Love Mac thread starter macrumors member

Ah well everyone is welcome to there own opinion and I respect that. But I will go to my best buy and try em both out. Thanks a lot guys.