Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Hello,

I was off exploring an abandoned building today, and I thought it would be interesting to take the same photos on my iPhone 6 and iPod touch 6, so we can compare them. A few people have asked what the camera is like.

I've put them in an imgur gallery instead of cluttering up this forum with the photos. The top photo is the iPhone 6, the lower one is the iPod touch 6. You can click the cog in the top right of each photo and click 'View full resolution' to see the original pictures.

These are all with HDR switched on, with the focus/brightness set to the same part of the picture (by tapping on it).

View the gallery

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
Hello,

I was off exploring an abandoned building today, and I thought it would be interesting to take the same photos on my iPhone 6 and iPod touch 6, so we can compare them. A few people have asked what the camera is like.

I've put them in an imgur gallery instead of cluttering up this forum with the photos. The top photo is the iPhone 6, the lower one is the iPod touch 6. You can click the cog in the top right of each photo and click 'View full resolution' to see the original pictures.

These are all with HDR switched on, with the focus/brightness set to the same part of the picture (by tapping on it).

View the gallery

jedisaga

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Havertown, PA
Personally, I think the IPT photos are on par if not a bit better than the iPhone 6's in certain shots. It appears that more detail is shown in the graffiti towards the top of the building in the first comparison photos.

J

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
The iPhone 6 captures a few extra "centimetres" around the edge of the image, though.

It was cloudy but really bright today. The iPhone 6 seemed to struggle with that a bit more. You can see the top of the photos is a bit washed out.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Thank you for the pictures. To me, the pictures are comparable although it looks there might be a slight difference in the white balance (I wonder if the difference is the sapphire lens in the iPhone vs the Touch). It's all subjective but I also slightly favor the Touch pictures.

vanzantapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2010
USA
Thanks for your efforts. Very helpful!
How many professional reviewers have done this for the iPT6?
iMore compared a few pics.
Has any other reviewer posted comparison pictures?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes, thank you for posting those images. Generally speaking, the difference in picture quality between the two devices is basically even. Subtle differences one way or the other depending upon conditions.

The question that I have is, how much time does it take from the moment the device is awakened, unlocked, photo app selected, and picture taken? (Photo app can be running in the background).

1961 Scout

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2015
Dude. Nice neighborhood! I had trouble comparing the pictures... Too facinated by the craziness of the whole scene. How about shooting some puppies or kittens?

c55

macrumors regular
May 3, 2015
Good shots. I'm really surprised how well the iPod took these photos. Think you could do some low light shots this evening? im curious to see how well the iPod does then

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
The A8's ISP does a great job of compensating for the small 1.1um pixels and the f/2.4 aperture. Can't wait to see what the A9's ISP is capable of!

dinepada

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Perú
The iPhone 6 captures a few extra "centimetres" around the edge of the image, though.

It was cloudy but really bright today. The iPhone 6 seemed to struggle with that a bit more. You can see the top of the photos is a bit washed out.
Iphone has a 2.2 aperture while ipod touch has 2.4 that explains the effect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.