Gallery for website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geekindisguise, May 28, 2009.

1. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I am making a site that is gonna display there artwork and I need a way to easily manage the site and to add photos to a gallery. Really the only thing that will be changing once it is published, is the photos that are in the gallery. I want her to be able to just upload the photo and it will automatically be in the gallery. I know some PHP and will learn anything that I need. I think I have a general idea of what I must do to make it all work.

Well here is the mockup I made. It shows how the gallery will be. So, I need thumbnails and a full version of the photo.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

3. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I was wanting more of a way for me to code it myself and make it more custom.
    But, thanks anyway.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

PHP can read the files in a folder. Then you can use the glob function to specify what type of files you want it to capture. Then using that you can create the gallery as you like. You'd then also create a user area where they have a upload option where you can locate image files to be added. You could potentially be even fancier and allow zip files to be uploaded that get uncompressed on the server (don't ask me how, I've never tried).

For thumbnails you can follow various tutorials such as this one that makes use of the GD library to create thumbnail images on-the-fly. There's really tutorials for all this type of stuff. Is there any particular part of the implementation that you specifically are looking for guidance on?

5. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this is exactly what your looking for. But http://www.pixelpost.org/ is a pretty sweet tool for photo blogging.