Gallery or Idisk?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by jclaydon, Jul 22, 2009.

1. jclaydon macrumors member

Hi

I've just started using mobile me, and am now looking for somewhere to back up my photos.

I currently backup to a Time Capsule, but would also like an 'off-site' backup.

Is it best to back them up to idisk or publish them to the mobile me gallery (using iphoto?). I have about 3.5gb of pictures.

Thanks

2. odelay macrumors 6502

Depends. Both options will store them on your iDisk - the Gallery stores your photos in the Web\Sites\_gallery folder on your iDisk. The MobileMe Gallery provides a v nice interface for browsing your photos online. If you don't need this functionality then you could just have your iPhoto Library backed up periodically to an iDisk folder of your choice.

3. Macsterguy macrumors 6502a

Macsterguy

iDisk can be used as backup but if your library is very large using iDisk will take a VERY LONG time.

4. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Keep in mind, between mail and your iDisk, you only have 20 gigs of storage.

5. jclaydon thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks. Might try uploading some to each to see what I prefer. I presume that if I use gallery I can protect the pictures so that they are not publically available (without a password).

6. odelay macrumors 6502

You can give a username/password on a per album basis, and/or hide albums from your public gallery homepage. So you could choose to not assign passwords to your albums, but hide them all from your public gallery page http://gallery.me.com/<your username>

7. jclaydon thread starter macrumors member

Ok I've uploaded an album and made it only viewable to myself. Is there anyway when I access the gallery through my iphone I can see the album?