Gamble with apple store or order on apple.com

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ultravorx, Oct 16, 2014.

1. ultravorx macrumors member

Well, the time has come and my wife wants to get an iphone 6 plus 128gb.

I know im a bit late to the game and inventory levels are low now, but having a tough decision on how to proceed with getting the phone in a decent time-frame.

1)Order on apple.com and wait the 3-4 weeks

2)try going to my local apple store until i get one.

With option 2, if i try for a week or two, i end up pushing out option 1 by that same time frame. My wife's current phone is starting to act up, so a replacement is needed soon, but not immediately.

Any thoughts on which way to proceed?

Frank

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Order it online and see if there is local pick up.

that's what I did for my two iPhone 6 pluses.

I kept checking the inventory for local pickup. For instance, I just ordered one for my wife this morning, the stores are not open and I saw the Boston apple store had the iPhone 6 plus available for local pickup. Ordered and she'll be getting her phone later this afternoon.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I suppose you can do what others have done and order online today, start your journey to the store for the next week or so and then cancel the online order. If the online store says it ships in a certain amount of time, then be sure you cancel before that time. You can cancel your order up until it prepares for shipment.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Nice. You got in before the "We'll be back" shutdown this morning.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

There's a reservation service and stock checking service in the UK too. Surely, US stores must have the same?

7. Scott1012 macrumors member

Tough call. I have a gold 128 6 plus but wanted to get my girlfriend the same phone (64 however). I tried many times last week and was unsuccessful in the in store pick up. So, I bit the bullet and ordered it a few days ago on Apple.com and got a delivery date between November 11-18th.

The problem that I have with the other comments is that I bought it for her with a two year contract from Verizon. I heard that if I go to a store and stock is available, I would then have to cancel my order online but they say it might take "some time" for Verizon to reactivate her eligibility. Therefore, I am afraid to cancel online and risk that they won't have the phone when it becomes re eligible.

If this is not true, I would love to hear from someone telling me otherwise.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Pretty easy to find once you do look. :cool:

You select your model / config and then it shows availability for in-store pickup, you can then click to see availability of that model at other stores in order of proximity.

Or you can use:
    http://www.seaturtle.org/idevice/iphone6_grid.shtml
    http://www.istocknow.com/us
    http://idevicechecker.com/

NOTE: Apple online store is down right now (due to event today most likely) so the stock checking sites are likely to behave oddly.

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The easiest thing would be to order online and wait. It's likely you will get it long before 3-4 weeks. That time frame is basically the worst case scenario. You will probably have the phone in 1-2 weeks.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would do this or just order it online and wait for it to be shipped to you.

11. ultravorx thread starter macrumors member

Update

So, i found that my local apple store had the phone. I went online and tried to do in store pickup. But apparently you cannot reserve the phone using next online!!!:eek:

So I called the store, and they confirmed they had the phone, but i had to go in person to pick it up. I drove 30 miles to the store and when i get there, they said they have no phones in stock and havent had any all day!:mad:

I explained the situation and the rep said id have to come in store and purchase it when they have stock, but he claimed they hadnt had any stock all day, and said id have to order online with the 2 year contract, then switch to the next.

So 30 miles back home, i go online, still showing in stock and ready for pickup same day! I order with the 2 year contract. 15 minutes later, i get an email that the order is ready for pickup, at the store i just left!!!:eek:

I am livid on how they handled this and whats going to be 120 mile trip to get the phone.

On the bright side, my wife will be getting her new phone today!

Frank