Game advice for Powerbook G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kevin242, Jun 27, 2012.

1. kevin242, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

kevin242 macrumors member

I have a Powerbook g4, its 1.25ghz, 1gb ram, and it has Leopard installed. I have Aurorafox and webkit and all the hacks installed so leopard runs fast enough so i can browse Facebook, use word, and even do flash reasonably well (900k flv videos stream fine to my laptop from my iMac) of course not all at the same time!!! lol

so now i am thinking, it would be great to have a couple good free games. I played halo to death on my emac before i sold it... so what else ? I like all types of games so anything free or abandon ware would be great. I was just on Macintosh garden but didn't know where to begin. I know other people have asked similar question, but i don't want to spend any money and I don't have classic OS or any desire to install it (if i am installing anything i would do Mint Linux before classic macos, but that wouldn't help for games either).

thank you for any advice!!!

2. rossmosis macrumors newbie

3. MacinDan macrumors regular

4. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Thanks for that OpenSonic link.. I didn't know about that project :)

OP I think that OpenArena works on PPC. Not sure, but it is open source and free so you should give it a download and try. There are versions for OS X, Windows, and Linux.

It's based on the released source code of Quake 3.

5. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Open Sonic was awesome, I couldn't stop playing!

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Quake 1, 2, 3 are awesome. Unreal Tournament.

7. Starfighter, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

And don't forget about the mission packs! I recently tried the packs for Quake 1 for the first time in my life and I quickly realized that it's not just a few new maps - it's full games! And a few new monsters and weapons as well. I had good fun playing through them (Scourge of Armagon and Dissolution of Eternety).

Edit: And I played them on a regular Sawtooth without any problems at all so I believe they should run fine on the PowerBook.

8. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

Nexuiz. Its an awesome shooter based on the Q3 build.