Game benchmarking QFX4500 on a PMG5, tools?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nameci, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I have googled enough and found no answer. I need tools for gameplay benchmarking my QFX4500.

Anybody know where I can get it?

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

If you have UT2004, download this:
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15039/santaduck-toolpak-for-ut2004

And you can run benchmarks that way.

Quake 3, Doom 3, Quake 4, Halo, and probably others have built in benchmarks and timedemos, if you Google around with the game name + benchmark/timedemo you should find instructions, it's all pretty easy.

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Since I have knocked your advice before I wanted to comment on how good this advice was. All great recommendations.

Nameci: Unreal is pretty much the gold standard for gaming benchmarking. I could make a long list of all the sites that use it to test vid cards so it's a solid choice for sure. Quake 3 is another good choice.

Regardless of what you choose you will get amazingly good scores with that GPU. I bet in quake 3 you get over 300fps easily.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Ah well I guess we all have our areas of expertise, and other areas where not always so much...

----------

And one note about benchmarking with UT2004:

When you test the graphics, run the benchmark in "flyby" mode. That's a very good GPU test. If you run the benchmark in "botmatch" mode, it becomes very CPU limited.

5. Nameci thread starter macrumors 68000

Nameci

How would I do it? Have downloaded UT2004 demo as well as Santaduck.

6. thorns macrumors member

I am very interested in your results. Beware: The UT2004 demo benchmark is not the same as the ones they used at barefeats or which I used to bench the X1900GT and 7800GT.

7. Nameci thread starter macrumors 68000

Nameci

How do you do it, I have dl'd the softwares necessary. How do I run the benchmarking software. Where can I get the step by step instructions?

8. thorns macrumors member

This is how it SHOULD work: When you have unzipped the Santaduck Benchmark Suite, go the folder "toolpak applications" and drag&drop "Santaduck Standard Bench" on the "DropInstaller". Install to the UT2004 app (might have to specify the path) and you are good to go. Start the benchmarks by clicking Santaduck Standard Bench.

9. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

If I remember correctly, I installed it by double-clicking on the Santaduck benchmark app, which then asked me to locate UT2004, it installed the relevant files, and I was all good to go.

10. Nameci thread starter macrumors 68000

Nameci

It seems that this time it does not want to install. I am at loss what could be wrong.

11. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Is it giving any kind of error message? It might only work with the retail version of UT2004, not the demo, and you might need the latest version (3369.2 I think)... but I *think* that there's also a benchmark for the demo in the Santaduck kit. If so, and you've only got the demo of the game, use that one instead.