Game Capture for PPC Mac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kokonico, Oct 29, 2013.

1. kokonico macrumors newbie

Okay, I need help.
    I bought a PPC G5. And I have been searching non-stop on the internet trying to find the most compatible for PPC G5.
    I am going to start a tech/gaming channel on youtube for fun and I want a game capture for the PPC.
    Please someone help.
    Any ideas on what to buy to get a game capture or any software?

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

3. kokonico thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Snapz Pro X can capture the screen or a certain area you choose. It is only free for a short trial phase. After that you would have to re-install your OS to install it again - or you just buy it. But there are some that had discovered small bugs, so get the information on that before buying.
    VLC is said to be able to capture the screen, too. I never got screen capturing working under 10.4.11.

5. kokonico thread starter macrumors newbie

How about game capture device?
    Meaning recording PS3 gameplay then editing it and compressing the file.
    What device should I use?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You could use an EyeTV product for that, like an EyeTV Hybrid. One of the older ones works well on my G5 and it will allow you to capture 480i video without much problem.

7. kokonico thread starter macrumors newbie

What is another one?
    Like the elgato or roxio?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

EyeTV is made by Elgato. Their software of the same name of EyeTV is one of the better if not the best software for video capture on Macs.

9. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I'm not sure I understand.

Will the game be played on PS3 or the G5?
    If on the G5, I recommend screenflow.
    If on the PS3, I don't really know.

10. Swampus, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

When looking, be sure to get a device that comes with the EyeTV software (or at least a legitimate activation code). Otherwise, you'll have to purchase that separately.

Also, depending on the deals that you're able to find, I can't think of a downside to getting separate devices for capture and encoding as an alternative to the hybrid model mentioned above. It would be the original Turbo.264 USB dongle that you'd want for PowerPC (the later HD version is for Intel only). You don't have to worry about getting the Turbo.264 software with purchase. That one can be downloaded from Elgato for free.

If your G5 is a quad core, you won't have much to gain from the encoder, though. In fact, a standard Quicktime export would probably be a little faster without the hardware. But you would still benefit from lower CPU overhead and the ability to do more things at once. For anything less than a Quad Core G5, the Turbo.264 will improve encoding speed.

11. Swampus, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

According to Elgato:

But I guess latency would only matter if you're playing on your G5's screen? If you're playing on your TV and outputting the signal from there (or splitting the composite connectors from your PS3), latency wouldn't make a difference?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you're playing the game from an external console and using the G5 as a display, it'll still work well. I've used an old USB 2.0 eMac as a display with an EyeTV Hybrid to play PlayStation 2 and GameCube with. Worked very well.

13. kokonico thread starter macrumors newbie

So does EyeTv record PS3 gameplay on another tv?

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

15. kokonico thread starter macrumors newbie

So just buy the EyeTv then record PS3 gameplay and it will be on my G5?

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, the G5 would act like a VCR (remember those?) and a TV screen or it can act just as a VCR if you have a video/audio y-cable and connect another actual TV.

17. kokonico thread starter macrumors newbie