Game Center = Apple's Xbox Live?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TurboSC, Apr 8, 2010.

1. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm surprised they didn't talk this feature up some more, just a brief glace...

This has so much potential to dethrone some of the dedicated gaming portables... Apple finally getting itself together to offer a unified social gaming network... If they nail the matchmaking, and somehow integrate a friends list like Steam... it's game over.

I wonder how OpenFeint is feeling right now...

2. matttye macrumors 601

3. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

This is one of the best announcements in my opinion. I mean, Apple already passed Nintendo in social gaming. :D This is seriously a good announcement for people who play a lot of iPhone games, and it should help the iPhone and iPad become more like real gaming devices.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes you will be able to, just as some titles can be played via 3G.

5. TurboSC thread starter macrumors 65816

TurboSC

There's gonna be a new breed of App Store games, and it's gonna be awesome!

I remember all the stupid Friend Code BS from the DS, was such a headache getting everything setup... hopefully Apple has improved on this... adding friends via your iTunes login would be sweet and simple... and with Multitasking, getting game invites and all that jazz :D

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I agree and this is something that is going to be very useful for a title I have been working on. Now I can quit manually coding this feature into my app and use Apple's implementation when it's available.

7. TurboSC thread starter macrumors 65816

TurboSC

It's available now to developers! My friend is already inside the game center pokin' around... apparently it's called "Apple Live"

8. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I think this is a huge deal, if it is done right, it can go beyond games. I know a heck of a lot of people with iPhone OS devices, however not all of them play games. I could see this network becoming an iPhone social media network, if they implement things like chat and such, it could really be a whole new social deal. I'm excited, the iPhone has been that one place where i have yet to connect to all my friends in a social sort of way. I would be nice go see them implement Loopt like functionality, win in my opinion.