Game center gone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwburnell, Aug 26, 2010.

1. dwburnell macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I just was looking though my folders I made on my iPhone 4 and I noticed the game center is gone. Not a big deal since it's not really up and running yet but I was just curious if this is happening to everyone or not.

Thanks!

2. shandyman Suspended

it's not been in any of the public releases yet, since it hasn't launched yet, was only in beta versions.

3. Salacion macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I'm becoming a little preoccupied with no word from Apple about Game Center and when it'll becomes implemented. I surely hope they're not throwing it aside; a good idea gone wrong. I really want this feature.

4. shandyman Suspended

they said it was coming in the fall, which hasn't started yet, there's nothing to say until release. if anything, there probably might be a mention on september 1st at the event, as by all estimations, it should be in iOS 4.1 which is expected to be released then, or a date for release announced then.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They've put work into it in each of the three iOS 4.1 betas that have been released so far.

They clearly still intend to release it.

If iOS 4.1 does come out with the new iPod touch next week, I'd expect that to have Game Center.

Microsoft is really stepping up the game in this area with Windows Phone 7 and Xbox LIVE.

6. adztaylor macrumors 68000

This feature does look good, can't wait to use it when 4.1 comes out.

7. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

In my guestimation, the "delay" for Gamecenter (and 4.1) was a strategic move to add buzz for the upcoming iPod Touch. With the sales of regular music playing iPods steadily slipping, they'll need to bring more to the table than simply an "iPhone without the phone part."

Combining the fast A4 processor, more ram, a gyro and the "Retina Display" together with the new GameCenter, Apple will probably position the iPod Touch as the ultimate handheld gaming rig for customers who don't yet (or can't yet) own an iPhone.

8. shandyman Suspended

What delay? They stated release in the fall. We're only now getting to Fall.

9. MacJones macrumors 6502

I had the 4.0 gold master about a week and a half before the official release and Game Center was included. It only seemed ok to me and didn't look like something I would use on a regular basis. It'll probably be a lot different than what I used when it's officially released though.

10. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

"Delay" as in wasn't released with the rest of iOS4. Yes they said "later" but as gadget enthusiasts, WE WANTS OUR STUFF NOW!!

11. shandyman Suspended

but it's not a delay, as it wasn't part of iOS4, it's it's own thing, like iBooks. it has always been stated that it was coming out in the fall. thats like saying that iOS4 was delayed cos they demoed it at announcement but didn't release it til june....

12. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

This is true, hence my use of the word "delay" in quotes.

But getting back to my earlier point, I believe GameCenter's release was separate from the rest of iOS4 for a reason, namely to correspond to the iPod Touch's release. With the ever-expanding list of top-tier games being released for the iOS platform, it only makes sense for Apple to position the iPod Touch as a more direct competitor to the NentendoDS, PSP, etc.

A strategically timed release of GameCenter is perfect for such a push.

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well from the angle that Apple is pushing the iPod Touch to be more of a hand held game platform, I'd be more apt to look for the simultaneous release of both a new iPod touch version and also game center.