Game Center Messaging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 226896, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 226896 Guest

Why isn't there a way to message friends on Game Center? It seems like it's the only thing holding it back from being a true gaming community.

Apple should have just bought Openfeint, kept it how it is and rebranded it.

2. shandyman Suspended

well some apps will be able to use VOIP for it, presumably apple assumes if you really want to message people, you'll just email them as they probably assume most people on your friends list will actually be your friend.... or they're bringing mesaging in at a later date.

3. 226896 thread starter Guest

Ah yes, I can see them adding it in 4.2. Hopefully.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

4.2? Game Center is an app, and not necessarily part of the iOS. So I don't believe they'll need to wait until the next OS release. They should be able to just update the app and push it out that way like normal app updates.

Which is better since updates won't have to wait. Could be wrong, but I think its a standalone app.

5. 226896 thread starter Guest

I hope you're right. Thing is, it isn't an app store download. Guess we'll have to wait and see :).

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's not.

When a game wants to interact with Game Center, it must use GameKit's APIs.

Those APIs can only change with an iOS update.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Right, the api's are built into the OS. The Game center uses those api's. But can't the actual app be updated without updating the api's? Thats what I was mentioning.
    Again, I could be wrong. But looking at how limiting that would be, I just wouldn't think it to be a wise avenue for Apple to take.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

As it's so heavily intertwined with the APIs, any change would be quite significant, so it would need to be updated with an iOS update.

Developers get prior warning of any API changes with each iOS release.

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Is there even a messaging api in GameKit? It would seem silly to not have a means to see all your messages (other than game invites) outside of a game. This feels more like PSN and less like XBL. I am curious to see how MS handicaps XBL with WP7 is released.

10. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Don't mean to derail the topic, but I'm quite looking forward to WP7 just for the XBL integration as I have XBL and love it.
    Would be even cooler if WP7 got ported to the iP4, lol.

11. shandyman Suspended

MS doesn't need to handicap XBL on WP7 as the whole infrastructure is in place for it, they just need to set it up WP7 can interact with the exisiting XBL infrastructure, whereas Apple are starting up totally from scratch on Game Center, so they have to make sure the basics work fine under the users first before adding more.

as for updating it, Apple can do what they want, if they choose to add more API's for it, they will. who's to say there's not a combination of API's already that can be used for messaging. We'll see if and when Apple do it, until then it's mosty just people guessing without having all the info.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

We've already been through this.

The APIs have been published for months now.

There simply isn't a messaging API in GameKit, nor is there an equivalent elsewhere in iOS.

Put simply, you can't send a message to another person using just their Game Center nickname.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

The problem there is that Apple has a known quantity of what their competitors (OpenFeint, +Plus, XbL, etc) offer. They should at a minimum provide the equivalent feature set. It won't be the case this time around. Hopefully the fraction of the millions of iOS devices supported will be large enough to make up for some of that. Maybe Apple would move along more quickly.

I also wonder what kind of algorithm they use for Matchmaking.