Game controller for a kid?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DotCom2, Jun 26, 2015.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Hi guys.
    I'm looking for a game controller for a kid with an iMac late 2011.
    She's 8 so just a standard cheapy one will do.
    I don't know anything about this sort of thing.
    She is trying to play the Lego Harry Potter game and keyboard commands are hard for her.
    Any suggestions on which one to get? I don't want to spend a lot since she is just getting into gaming and still just learning and she may not even like it.
    She is running latest version of Yosemite.

2. nionelle macrumors newbie

The Xbox 360 wireless controller for windows works well (with the included adaptor) but you may have to fiddle with drivers to get it working. They aren't too expensive and are pretty sturdy, might be worth a shot. My gf has been using one to play Lego Marvel and she is getting on with it very well.

3. laragheast macrumors member

I bought the ps4 controller and use it on iMac 5k and it works great wired or wireless with supported games, it works
    With steam too if the games have full
    Game controller support the PS3 controller has
    More games supported from the likes of feral games .

4. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    There's an app called 360Controller i think, and you can use a wired 360 controller with the mac. Can't remember the exact app name as i'm at work, but the wired 360 controller works great, and i play the Tomb Raider games, Lego Star Wars, Lego Lord of the Rings, Bioshock, and others. A goggle search will help with the app, and once it's installed, it's in your system prefs, and when running, plug in your controller and away you go.

5. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68040