Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
T

The Toddfather

Original poster
After playing Big Bang Chess or 3D Solitaire, my MBA becomes very jumpy and I have to reboot. Any ideas?

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I haven't found it posted in a search.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Can you describe this "jumpyness"? Perhaps you should strap your computer down :p

T

The Toddfather

Original poster
The curser will move across the entire screen with just a small movement and is almost impossible to control.

masterpace

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Montreal
Hey Toddfather. Seems like we're in the same boat. I love my MBA and for sure, that's a great portability masterpiece. But for gaming, there's a big issue. It looks like your "jumpering" issue is caused by the CPU throttling down. That implies it can reduce its frequency down to 200 MHz (as personally observed) and even shut down in rare instances. Simply put, that thing overheats too much. At least, mine cannot handle any intense 3D gaming properly for more than a few minutes. It's not that the CPU or graphics chip are not able to handle it. It seems like it just overheats. But for most applications, including web browsing and video watching, my Macbook Air is quite alright.

T

The Toddfather

Original poster
Very disappointing. Thanks for the input, I thought I was going batty.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Whats up with MBAs overheating? It seems like every second MBA has this problem! O_O

Is Apple becoming too big and greedy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.