Game Level Editor In Objective C with Xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by cocoBavan, Mar 31, 2011.

1. cocoBavan macrumors newbie

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The first thing you need to be able to do is to learn how to make scenes with sprites with Cocos2D.

All this developer did (and this is a VERY awesome tool), is make the sprites you drop in a WYSIWYG fashion generate the appropriate code.

3. cocoBavan thread starter macrumors newbie

:) Yes I know that it is something to do with the cocos frameWork, however I am interested in making that tool for my own customization flexibility. How can I make a program where I can Drag n drop images rotate em? I did some study on Mac Cocoa programming today and I think I'll able to achieve it with placing few UIImageViews in the Window at runtime and controlling their rotation and sizes with some gadget from Library. Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

5. larswik macrumors 68000

You sound like me 7 months ago. Instead of trying to create little widows to get me by, I needed to learn programming. I recommend "Learn C on the Mac" then move up to Objective-C (my next step) and then to Cocoa.

I have yet to make a GUI window, but I did make a command line blackjack game. If you rush things you will fail. Learn to crawl, then walk before you try to run.

My 2 cents :)

-Lars

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The poor husbands! :p

B

7. cocoBavan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know I am kinda rushing.. But, I thought I don't have to reinvent the wheel since the dragging and dropping images inside a window is so common such that it would have an efficient design pattern by now. :) I searched all over the place, all the Mac books I found are explaining me about OOP and File Handling :). I couldn't find a single book explains about Graphics. Either they go into deep openGL or they don't touch about it all. I am not asking code from you but asking which features or packages which would lead me to do what I want.

For example if someone new to Xcode world comes here and ask a similar thing about Developing a calculator, I wouldn't answer with codes but I would say, "boy, It is possible with some basic understanding of MVC (not necessarily) and a entry level knowledge in integrating objects built on IB with XCode, and have a look at how outlets and actions work" , just to make sure he will not be intimidated by the vast area in front of him.

Anyway, I'll try my best to do this as soon as possible. I'm a hobby programmer and I admit that I need to put some hard work. Thank you all for replying and reading. Lets make some widows.

8. larswik macrumors 68000

Programming for me has been like an addictive drug. I enjoy problem solving and the people here help when I get stuck with pushes in the right direction. If you complete your task you will want to learn more. But starting on the graphics side you may find it boring stepping all the way back to working in a console and learning the nuts and bolts. I am also taking a programming class at a city college. Where I create challenges for myself thats with in my skill range, they challenge me to move forward. Good luck with your project. I don't know enough to help, sorry.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

How much programming do you know? If you are just starting out do not start with graphics. Even though they are fun you will hit a wall and have to go back to the beginning and learn all the basics all over again.

If you are new to programming, you will want to go through and learn Objective-C first, then start on Cocoa. You don't have to memorize every little thing, just know it exists and how to use it. Programmers reference things all the time.

If you are familiar with Objective-C then the Hillegas Cocoa book will get you started in the right direction, or an OpenGL book such as the OpenGL Superbible.

10. cocoBavan thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been into programming for last 5-6 months and I am ok with OOP, Data structures and popular design patterns. I am in the process of learning objective C for last few weeks.

I have heard about Hillegas book but never had a chance to look at it; my brother has promised me that he will get it from his uni library as soon as it is returned. :)

Thank you chrono1081 for the suggestions and kindly reply.

11. Drewbie macrumors member

if you are interested in game design look into Unity3d.com

this program does most of the work for you, you just have to have a good knowledge of OOP to get around unity's librarys and class structure to be able to get game objects to interact with one another.

amazingly simple tool though to make very deep and immersive games

only thing i hate is creating 3d models and texturing them :(

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for Unity, I adore it and use it all the time.

However, if you are looking for 2D games, although its possible to make them in Unity by locking the Z axis, it may not be the best way depending on the type of game.

I just recently started using the Corona SDK for a 2D game project I am working on and its amazing. Its the first 2D SDK I've used that I love. There is a level editor someone built for it called "Lime" that looks great to use. (I haven't used it yet I'm still nosing around the SDK and seeing what all my options are before I start building a new project).

If you are looking at making a 2D game give it a chance, its insanely easy to pick up and learn even if someone has almost no programming experience. (You should be familiar with OOP concepts but you don't have to be an expert). Not to mention it uses Lua script (you can pick Lua script up easily) so there are no long compile times since its all done at run time.

If you are making 3D games though Unity is by far the way to go. The basic license is cheap too for a game engine of its quality.