Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are your games running better or worse or the same?

• Better

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The same

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Am I imagining things or is the frame rate of XCOM 2 (my daily game) smoother? I've also noticed that when I switch out of the game, there is lag in the rest of the system. Could Sierra be prioritising OpenGL performance in games eeking out a few more fps?

Anyone experiencing the same?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
More likely using newer drivers. The drivers in 10.11 were ancient, but could well be prioritising too.

Remrod

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
Can anyone confirm if the drivers in macOS have been upgraded? Especially the AMD drivers?

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
No, the drivers have not been "UP"graded. They have been "SIDE"graded.

macOS Sierra has newer Nvidia drivers, but they have manually ripped out all support for modern PC graphics cards (like Maxwell) from those newer drivers even though they could have supported it. So it's not an upgrade for anyone who has replaced the original graphics cards Apple shipped. People will need to keep installing nVidia's custom Web Driver.

Apple = schoolyard bullies.

Remrod

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2015
That is sooo awful! Why don't they update their drivers? Since the current drivers are from pre-stoneage one would receive probably 10-15% more performance with current AMD drivers. Soooo sad... :-(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.