Game problem w/Parallels on 2.8MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rockinrocker, Jan 13, 2008.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

ok, i know it's a workstation not a gaming rig.:) i'm not concerned about frame rates or anything like that, just want to do some casual gaming.

sooooo....i upgraded to Parallels 3, installed xp pro and when i try to play "empire at war" i get a pop up that says
    "insufficient 3d hardware detected. would you like to continue?" if i click yes, the app just closes.
    i'm just running the stock ati 2600 whose specs are well within the range of the game. do i need to adjust a setting or something? any ideas? or am i just SOL?

thanks.

edit: i also turned up the video memory to 64 meg

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In the virtual machine configuration did you make sure to enable shaders? Even so it's still experimental so not every game will work.

Attached Files:

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately Parallels barely runs any 3D apps, and of those not many are run well on any hardware. You may want to check out Crossover :)

4. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

cool, that seems to have done it. thanks!

btw, did you get yours yet?

5. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

well that kinda stinks. i guess thats what i get for not doing my research and just diving right in....

6. CV4 macrumors member

just throw bootcamp on if you want to play games.

7. Toups macrumors regular

What frame rates are you seeing under Parallels? Any chance you or anyone else, has tried the same game under VMWare Fusion? I would be interested to see the difference between DirectX 8 and 9 performance.