OS X Game recommendations for retina macbook

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by puelocesar, Jun 19, 2015.

1. puelocesar macrumors member

Hi, I just received my new retina macbook 15", base model with Iris Pro graphics. It's my first time using a retina display on a computer, and I'm amazed with image and text quality. Can you recommend any small game that runs on it's full resolution?

I'm curious on how retina gaming is, even if it has bad fps with this card, but I'm traveling, and my internet here won't be able to download a Diablo III or something heavy like that.

Thanks!

2. angeemaree macrumors newbie

angeemaree

I also have a retina 15" with iris. I don't really like playing anything at max res because it hurts my eyeballs. :/ however if you have any questions about playing various games on certain settings let me know!

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

define small.

Company of Heroes runs at 5K on my imac-- though I've found that minimum framerate suffers, which can make it unplayable.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Your 5K iMac has a discreet GPU. The OP's MacBook pro does not.

5. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I've been playing megaman 8 bit deathmatch using mac zandronum and mac doomseeker since their app is otherwise windows only. Unfortunately, thats a low res game. Still fun and works great on a mac as long as you are geeky enough to set it up.

6. jerwin, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

jerwin macrumors 65816

Sigh. So it runs horribly well short of the highest resolution? I should have guessed. Games that are technologically primitive enough to run well on iris Pro at insane resolutions generally don't have the textures required to actually look demonstrably better at those resolutions.