Game Website Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kingthias, Nov 24, 2010.

1. kingthias macrumors member

I made a site and I would like to know what you guys think. I would like some recommendations about better blending the link list with the site and a background (right now I'm using a graphic).

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Youre using google ads to make money.

Thats a thumbs down in my book.

The layout makes little to no sense...what is this site supposed to be again? Its not clear at all. You put the "about" link as an anchor tag to some paragraph at the very bottom of a very long list.

I think you need to try to get your site into a more easily digestible format with a more discernible goal and menu.

3. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

Things I liked
    Mario World background.
    Colour scheme.

Things I didn't like
    Way too much stuff. It'd takes too much time to browse.
    Only flash games.
    Obtrusive adverts.
    Had no idea what I was looking at or what the site was for.
    Background is visible a small section then theres a whole load of brown.

4. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

I put the paragraph on the homepage to try to help google recognize what my website is about. Does google check all of your pages?
    I definitely agree that it needs a branding of some sort but I have yet to decide on anything. For now it is a site for my friends to go to at school so they already know the purpose.
    I look forward to making it seem more "legit" in the future.

5. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    Would thumbnails help? Did you think the categories helped browse?
    What is the better alternative? Java?
    How can I make them less annoying?
    I'm working on declaring a purpose for the site via banner, logo, tagline etc.
    How do you recommend I maintain the graphic throughout a long page? Should I have blue and then graphic rather than graphic then brown?

Thank you for your input!

6. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Try HTML/Javascript, fully cross platform without any plugins.
    Perhaps instead of offering Flash games(which many sites already do) you instead offer your website to developers wanting to put up javascript games that your site can offer from mobile phones to computers and televisions.

http://www.kesiev.com/akihabara/

7. miknos Suspended

miknos

Cabbit gave an excellent idea. That's a good differentiation.

I don't like the long brown area. Make the website less longer by making sections (3d, car games, strategy, puzzle, etc). Instead of a list with 1600 items, it will be a little above 100. And if you want to split a little more, you can make more sections with 0-A B-G H-M .... Try to see how it goes.

With so many games, you have to guess how the game is by playing it. Using thumbnails make searching a lot easier. Just like the example above (Akihabara)

Nice website btw :).

Attached Files:

8. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

I like the idea. If i did this I could offer something unique. My only dilemma is whether to maintain the current selection for my loyal viewers (around a hundred come back everyday) or should I start from scratch?

9. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

I'll definitely try this.

I like the idea, I already have thumbnails for 90% of them! Would you recommend no full site search at all or just no full site browsing?

Thanks!

10. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

Added thumbnails! I have yet to change the homepage to a category view or get a logo etc. but I'll keep working on it.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Categories with descriptions ... no one wants to search through an alphabetical list :cool:

12. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying each category should have a description or each game should have a description?
    Do you think I should not have full site browsing of games?

I'm not sure what you're saying.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

break them down into categories ... like action, arcade, card, racing etc. etc. Then a brief description listed with each game.

Look at other Game sites ... they all have something like this.

Good Luck

14. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

I already have the categories but I will definitely try to make them more of a focus of the site. Descriptions may be difficult but I'll try to get them.
    Thanks for your advice!

15. miknos Suspended

miknos

Just add another section called HTML5 (or whatever suits better) :). Make it stand from the others (maybe by placing it first).

Logo is not that important (urgent). Just add the sections in the homepage (like the screenshot/example example below). When you click the section, just put a title (so the visitor knows in which section he's in). There you show the thumbnails.

Good luck with your website.

Attached Files:

16. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll add this tomorrow.
    Happy thanksgiving!

17. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Its already starting to look much better. Though be careful with you load times the amount of images your using and insanely large mario image can take a wee wile to render try being a little more aggressive with your compression.

18. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!
    I've been thinking the same thing about the background but the thumbnails seem to, in my experience, load pretty fast. I don't know if it actually affects the loading time but I find that separating the images into subdirectories can speed it up.

19. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Also, try putting the body in a scrollable DIV, so the the games section only scrolls but the background stays where it is. This should be in addition to the sections you'll be adding :D

Also needs some sort of banner/logo/branding etc to give some idea of what's going on.

20. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

I know this isn't the right forum for a logo design but since it's been suggested I add a logo I was wondering what you guys thought about this.
    [​IMG]

21. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Looks like a mutant jelly fish thing with a game controller thing.

22. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

I'm assuming that's a bad thing? lol, I'm not very good at making logos.

23. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

What's it supposed to be?:confused:

24. kingthias thread starter macrumors member

The site is mneary.info so the logo has MN (my initials) in it. And then the rest is an N64 controller because its a game site. Is it to hard to see?

25. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

I preferred when it was a mutant jellyfish. Logo's have to be really clear about what they represent, logic is sound but implementation is way off. If you like the N64 maybe base your logo more on the N64 logo style or look to Nintendo's logos for inspiration.