Gameboy advance emulator performance issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by goldypoker, Nov 26, 2007.

1. goldypoker macrumors member

Hi All,

Had the GBA emulator on my touch since version .08...its had two updates since then, I believe the current version is now 1.0.5?

Anyways, it hasnt crashed on me, but the lagginess/chopiness of the graphics has gotten steadly worse since I installed it....it was pretty good and playable at first (games I used were SM Kart, SMW and Advance wars)

SM Kart and SMW were a "little" choppy initially after I first installed the emulator, but were still playable for the most part...now, after the last week and most recent updates, they are so choppy that they can't be played enjoyably at all....whats gives? Is anyone else experiencing these performance issues getting worse as time goes on??

I have read that some of the bio/bin files circulating were prone to causing performance issues on this emulator...could this be the cause? I thought they were mostly related to the program crashing, but that has not been the case with mine, thankfully, just huge slowdowns on the graphical renderings....

Any advice??

2. ohio state fan macrumors member

ya I have the same thing happening to me every thing was fi ne when it was at .8. But know its really choppy. I think Otis because the screeN is bigger now and the emulator can't process it well enough untill performance is increased.

3. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

over at the gpsphone forum, a lot of people are complaining about 1.0.5. it is slow and crashes quit a bit. for me, i can't get it to run Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy 6. It just crashes back to the springboard. They have all the previous versions at the forum for download. General consensus is 0.0.8 is the best one so far. I will try to install that again when I get home.

4. bdsmyth macrumors regular

Yeah 1.0.5 is really bad. Before i updated I didn't have any problems now I can't even get some of the games to load and it crashes all the time which it never use to do. I hope there's a better upgrade shortly, this one is more like taking a few steps backwards

5. aki macrumors 6502a

True this latest version seems a little "skippier". However, it does seem to correctly save Final Fantasy Advance Tactics games - that makes it a winner for me. :D

Say, has anyone managed to get Advance Wars/II to run? Never worked for me. Come to that, is there a compatibility thread anywhere? Could be useful, even if it changes all the time...

6. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

advanced wars 2 works on 1.0.5 for me. anybody know of FF6 works on the previous versions? if it doesn't then i can avoid the trouble of uninstall/reinstall.

7. aki macrumors 6502a

Wow really? My Advance Wars 2 always crashes. You are using the English version? I was trying to run (E) [1156]. You?

No idea re FF6, sorry...

8. Quickdood macrumors regular

Dont think ff6 has worked on any of the version yet, tried to install it on every new update so far

9. goldypoker thread starter macrumors member

I will also try and re-install ver. o.8...seemed like it was a good comprimise between useability and screen size, at least for me!

10. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

0.0.8 runs every game, for me at least. it runs ff6, advance wars 2, fire emblem, ff tactics, zelda minish cap, fire pro wrestling...i forget what else. restore also works. i like the looks of the controller better, but the bigger screen makes the image look like *****.

11. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

Errr

This software is FREE! Zodttd release this software with no remuneration ...If your so dissatisified try donating! Maybe then he'll quit his/her job and work on the emulator full time to live up to your expectations!
    :mad:

12. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

Admiral Obvious, you have been promoted and may relinquish the title of Captain. Please settle down before you pop a blood vessel. We are, in essence, beta testing the software since it hasn't even reach version 1.0. Of course there will be bugs that need to be ironed out. But in the mean time, version 0.0.8 is the most stable.