Gamecenter and friend requests

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j-a-x, Sep 12, 2010.

1. j-a-x macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Lately I've been getting a lot of random friend requests via GameCenter. It makes a loud trumpet sound whenever somebody wants to be my friend.

The weird thing is, I don't know anybody else who plays games on their iPhone, and I don't know where these people are coming from.

I've noticed that GameCenter is pretty anonymous. There is no messaging, no detailed profiles, no way to even see the profiles of other players via the leaderboards (only usernames). There's not even a way to add a random person from a leaderboard as a friend.

So how are these people finding me? Are they just randomly guessing my email address / name, or is there a way to browse for people on GameCenter to be friends with? Is there a way for me to find out who they are since I can't see their real name or email address, or send them messages asking who they are?

Out of the contacts who have added me, one has 200 friends and 0 games. The other has 300 friends and 0 games, and another is friends with only me, with again 0 games. Only one of my random contacts has any games, and he actually has a few in common with me, I'm just not sure how he found me.

2. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

I should add that my email address is not public, so there must be some other way people are finding me. Any ideas?

3. tac22 macrumors 6502

i doubt its your e-mail address..... though i could be wrong

Is your nickname something commen like just a word without any numbers tacked on, or something extremely short,

Becuase truthfully i added every letter in the alphabet and sent request to most common names :p maybe i shouldn't have considering the fact i have 250 friends and i don't know what i'm going to do with them all

4. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Hmm maybe you are my friend and we don't know it! :)

haha

Actually my "nickname" is Jax, only 3 letters. Do you think they are just guessing? I thought you had to enter an email address to find a friend on GameCenter. Are nicknames user specific (like a username) ? I am guessing so... maybe that explains it. Is Jax a popular name for people to guess?

If only GameCenter had messaging, I could ask all of these people if they really know me or not, but unfortunately I cannot do that.

5. tac22 macrumors 6502

lol, yes that is why,

its not like popular, but its easy for someone to guess if they feel like they don't have enough friends.

You know its getting real bad when your have over 200 friends and your getting requests that say "Ich mochte dich als Freund hinzufugen." =)

6. j-a-x thread starter macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Haha!
    Well my problem is maybe some of these are people I know (although I can't think of many people I know that play games on an iPod or iPhone). Since there is no way to see the real name or to send a message, I am worried that I might be rejecting real friends but I guess I'll never know.

7. Afrobrother macrumors newbie

8. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

9. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

10. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

How?! I keep getting woken up at 4AM if I forget to logout of GC because I have a very common word as my name :(

11. BKNY macrumors member