Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in March, GameClub launched in a beta capacity with a plan to bring back classic iOS games that have disappeared from the App Store over time.

So far, GameClub is seeing early successes, and in addition to raising $2.5 million in seed funding, GameClub already has a handful of Early Access games that you can play right now.

GameClub-800x362.jpg

GameClub games like Run Roo Run, Cubed Rally World, and Incoboto are available through TestFlight and you can check them out right now for free. Links are below:

[*]Run Roo Run
[*]Cubed Rally World
[*]Chopper 2
[*]Incoboto
[*]Zombie Match Defense
[*]Wooords
[*]Sword of Fargoal
[*]Hook Champ
To install these, you need to download Apple's TestFlight app and then click one of the links above to open it up in the TestFlight app. From there, just tap on "Install" and you'll be able to play the game.

GameClub is adding new games that you can try out every week, and next week, Super QuickHook from RocketCat games is coming. You can get a heads up when the TestFlight is available by signing up for the GameClub newsletter or visiting the GameClub Discord.

plunderland-800x600.jpg
Plunderland​

In the future, a few titles that were super popular back in the day will be introduced on GameClub, including Super Crate Box from Vlambeer, Plunderland from Glitchers, and Space Miner from Venan Entertainment. All of these games are from the early days of the App Store and many fans will undoubtedly be thrilled to see them available to play once again.

superquickhook-800x600.jpg
Super QuickHook​

More than 50 titles in all are in the works at the current time, and GameClub plans to add more games in the future. There's a tentative fall launch date for GameClub, and while details on pricing have yet to be announced, there will be no ads or microtransactions in any of the games available through GameClub, a rarity in an App Store dominated by freemium titles.

GameClub's creators are focusing on creating a robust catalog of games and making sure early access testers are satisfied with quality of the updates and the direction of the GameClub catalog before details like pricing are solidified, and with funding in place, GameClub says it has time to experiment with what works best for its customers.

incoboto-800x600.jpg
Incoboto

There are hundreds of now-defunct gaming titles that have disappeared from the App Store, which leaves a lot of potential for GameClub in the future. Developers of some early titles have been unable to keep up with the changes implemented in the App Store over the years, but with GameClub handling the modernization process, many older titles could see re-releases.

Article Link: GameClub Bringing Classic Games Like 'Super Crate Box,' 'Space Miner' and 'Plunderland' Back to iOS

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
What's the business model? pay once per app? subscription?

This is going to be a real tough sell if it launches around the same time as Apple Arcade.

Last edited:
Comment

mannyvel

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Scoops. It still works on 32-bit devices, and my daughter loves it.

I actually still have flight control and play it occasionally.

Comment

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
So glad to be able to play Woords on new devices again! It’s by far my favorite of all word composing games.

Comment

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Bridgy Jones please. I wish the original developer would add the new levels they promised in 2013, but that’s definitely wishful thinking at this point.

Comment

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
Wake me up when they get Flappy Bird. Still pissed I dropped / broke the iPhone running the iOS compatible with Flappy Bird.

Comment

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'm in on the Beta and it's pretty great.

I just wish they'd bring back/update the CinemaFX photo filter app. I know it's not a game, but I literally kept an iPhone SE on iOS 10 just to retain access to it. (Then it's mic broke and the phone had to be replaced... and forced an update to 11.)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.